Intro

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Aurie, May 28, 2008.

1. Aurie

Aurie New Egg

May 28, 2008
    Hello all,

I just signed up today. We have been contemplating for a while now getting into chickens as a bit of a hobby, pet, egg producing thing. We homeschool our kids so I thought it would also be a good educational tool. I would really like to go with 8-10 hens so that not only would we have enough for ourselves, we could sell some of the eggs to friends/family/co-workers. Obviously not looking for income, jsut wanting the additional learning experience for the kids and if it pays for feed, BONUS [​IMG]

We live on a half acre. I assume this is large enough for that many chickens? I ahve been trying to read up on what I could. I think we would need an inclosed area. We have two dogs. One shouldn't be a problem, but the other is a border collie that will give chase. Not the ideal situation for free range. We will also need something pretty fortified as the dogs are in the house at night and we live next to a pretty dense woods.

I haven't really focused overly much on the breed yet. I am still up in the air on what kind of coop/yard we will need. I have looked at many many designs. It is all so mind boogling. I have been thinking of maybe getting a couple rabbit boxes to convert and put into a dog run? Some of those kits are so high priced, though I am not sure the above will necessarily be cheaper or safer.

Anyway, we are not yet ready to jump in. But getting closer, if I can ever decide to just do it and what it is I want to do or go with.

Thanks for reading,
    Aurie

2. Dilly

Dilly Cooped Up

Apr 15, 2008
    Hi Aurie,

You will get some great ideas here. Just keep reading. I spent a few weeks just in coops and runs topics. Loved looking at all the pictures and gathering ideas of what I wanted in my coop.

Welcome.

3. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Hi Aurie and Welcome to BYC! Another Homeschooler here. Our children have learned so much from our animals and my girls love our chickens.

It's great that you are doing all your research first. It makes it much easier to have things ready before bringing home that three dozen (didn't you say three dozen [​IMG] ) chicks. I know you think you're just going to have 8 to 10, right. We'll chat about that later on in the year. [​IMG]

It sounds like you will for sure need a Ft. Knox type coop being so close to woods. Learn about the fencing options, you'll need some good fencing.

Are you in a subdivision? Town? Do you have any ordinances or laws against chickens where you live? Do you have neighbors close by that you need to talk with about having them?

A half acre is very nice. It would be great if your chickens could free range at times. I have to lock up my dogs when my chickens are free ranging. If they can't then just build them a nice large run onto their chicken coop and they'll be happy.

Some of the breeds that seem to do extra well with children are Buff Orps, Australorps, Sex-links and Barred Rock. I know there are others but can't think of them now. It's time for me to go to bed ... brain is going to mush.

Have fun.

4. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    [​IMG] hope you have fun here.....

5. Aurie

Aurie New Egg

May 28, 2008
    We live in town, but the town has no ordinances for livestock. So there are several places (on the edge of town) who have cattle or horses, and other areas that have chickens. If we had just a tad more space, I would consider a goat too [​IMG]

Thanks for the warm welcome!

6. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Welcome Aurie! Chickens will make a great class project, and they can be very good pets. I had chickens as a child and loved playing with them. And now my grandson loves the chickens. 1/2 acre should be fine.

7. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    [​IMG]

8. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. mullers3acers

mullers3acers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2007
    la porte, In
    [​IMG]

10. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Hello and welcome!

A rabbit hutch is a good idea for a couple of birds. But with as many as you want, not so much.

Find out what type of predators are near you and that will give you an idea about how fortified you need to go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by