Intro

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by diornisextant, Oct 27, 2011.

1. diornisextant

diornisextant Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    hi All ,
    I am brand new to chickens as pets though not new to birds so not really a Newbie . I have 3 Serama . Awesome cute little urban jungle fowl ! I have been discovering the various breeds of bantams and have decided to create a breed of my own . This of course is going to be a very small breed in keeping with the Serama start and the function as a pet .
    I don't want to go too far into detail of the breed just yet but it will be of game bird lines such as the ko shamo if i can find them . Indian game or OEG will work as well with a few other fancy breeds involved for a completely new and fantastic(quite literally) appearance. I'm big on self reproducing breeds that need little to no special care in order to rear their young and I like the idea of high fertility in general as a sign of breed health so good layers and brooders they will likely be . They will be muscular too so for those that care to can table them as well. Tiny though they will be .

I hope to learn much here and hope I can find some of the breeds through local connections . I am in Seattle .
    Jf anyone has Ko Shamo, Cornish game, modern, Indian or OE game or a similarly built Bantam Game bird please get in touch with me . Please . I am not looking for show standard birds and not too many either . actually only one hen of each breed will be needed ,

In general I am looking for birds of small upright muscular but graceful build with long necks and horizontally positioned long tails . Tight hard feather showing skin through angular regions like keel, leg and even back. open and forward wing carriage, preferably split wing. A compact but smooth natural comb with a smooth margin or maybe a couple of large and dull serrations -dubbing is not my thing-a compact conical beak and small wattles but a connected dewlap extending down the neck would be great. Stout clean legs and 3 thick toes with the fourth missing or vestigial leaving the bird walking on 3 rounds out my wish list. I wont even attempt color preferences for now.
    Obviously if all of these traits were found in a single breed I wouldn't have to work at developing so i don't expect to get all of this in one bird until I put it together myself .
    There are some details I am keeping to myself at this time but I think this will be quite a hit if i can make it happen .
    For now I'll call this little venture

" Fowl Freaks"

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York! Glad to have you aboard!

[​IMG]

4. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

6. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Michigan! Sounds like a fun project.

7. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Welcome [​IMG]. Glad you are here [​IMG]

8. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Welcome! [​IMG]

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    Welcome from the Adirondack mountains! [​IMG] More info here than anywhere else.... stuff you can't get out of a book.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by