Introduce as big group or smaller groups?

maddogdodge

Songster
6 Years
Apr 27, 2014
Australia
I have a flock of 10 hens and 1 rooster of various ages (ranging from 2 years to 18 weeks) of various breeds and sizes. I have also just acquired a separate group of 15 production layer hens (ISA Browns). They are ex stock from a chicken farm, in their second season of laying.

After keeping them in quarantine for a while, I am wondering what would be best. To introduce 4-5 of them at one time every day or two? Or introduce the whole bunch at once? I'm really not sure what to do, I can see pros and cons in both ways.

Anyone got experience/advice for me? It would be much appreciated
smile.png

PS: I always do introductions at night so that they wake up together, so whether I introduce a big group in or smaller groups in, I'd be doing it at night.

I vote all at once. The numbers do favor the new comers, but the present flock has home court advantage. Plus you only have to do it once.

I agree with above post, when you introduce, the more the better. Hope you have enough room, that is a lot more chickens, it will more than double your flock.

If they don't settle down within a few weeks, you might reduce your numbers a bit. Over crowding does cause a lot of bad habits, and with winter coming on, they stay closer together for more hours of the 24 hour day.

Mrs K

Thanks for your responses
big_smile.png
I'll do it all at once, will be an interesting morning when they wake up together haha!

I've got plenty of space for them. I live on 30 acres and have a big yard built for them with various areas for perching, nesting and food + water.

Also, I'm in Australia, so we've just started Spring and are heading into summer soon, so they're all spending lots of time outside in the sunshine at the moment
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom