introduce Dog to chicks... yes or no?

The Burg Peeps

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 9, 2011
Ontario
We are going to be getting 4 BR chicks in the beginning of July. We have a 6 year old Standard Schnauzer Dog as well. I am wondering if I should introduce the Dog to the Chicks or not? It will be very simple for me to keep them apart but I do think the Dog would be gentle. We used to have a small yorkie as well and the Schnauzer was always very gentle. We also have 2 kids under 3yrs old whom the Dog has never shown signs of aggression with. The Dog is very laid back and I am actually more concerned about the birds pecking the Dog rather than the Dog hurting the Bird Anyone have any suggestions on how and when to introduce? Or should I just keep them apart? The preference is to have them get along so the chickens can have full access to the entire yard rather than half... but not if it would result in someone getting hurt, birds or dog.

My previous birds were free range.... note the word previous. When I got them I had a cocker spaniel and a pit bull. They both did really well. I kept them away the first few days, but once I started giving them some time outside, I would have the dogs out there as well. I was outside during these ventures because the chicks were so little at the time. The cocker spaniel didn't really seem to care, however the pit loved them. He followed them, tried to be protective of them, sniffed at them it was really cute. Once they grew some and I kicked them outside, the 3 birds free ranged and the dogs went outside to do there business.... never had any problems. I had gotten them in early spring 2009. November 2009, I adopted a walker hound- bad idea to have a hunting dog with free range chickens. At that point, my rooster was starting to turn into an @$$ and would attack the cocker spaniel (like jump on her and what not). For months the rooster would "dare" the walker hound to mess with him, she would chase but never caught him. Eventually we got some more babies and while they were still staying in the house, the walker got a hold of the rooster and then it was on. She killed a total of five. Two adult and 3 like 12ish week olds. I now only have the cocker spaniel and she has been sniffing at the chicks, I don't think that she will do anything. She is terrified of my ferrets and once a chicken is full grown its taller than she is. I can tell you that my cats (indoor) are terrified of chickens. They haven't really noticed the babies... because they have been in their carrier (the chicks) when they are in the house. But in the past we have brought our adults inside for snow storms since we didn't have a well insulated coop for them. We would have them in a dog crate. The cats would hear them and be all freaked out.

My Lasa aspo actually thinks the chicks are hers.. all 22 meaties and 20 redsex links its been interesting she's never tried to hurt them.. but she is protective and doesnt like anyone else who she thinks shouldnt be near them..she will bark and sometimes growl

cryssie

They gotta know the chicks aren't food, so yes, introduce them and teach the dog to leave them alone from the get go.

I always do, but under very close supervision. My Border Collie supervises the brooder much of the time and one of our Bassets is handy to use as a 4-legged brooder when I clean the regular one out. He grooms the chicks and continues to do so once they are adults. Watching him groom our rooster is a hoot!
hu.gif

I am 99% sure the dog wouldn't try to kill them. I think he will try to play with them... at worst he may pounce on them a little bit. I think I may introduce them right away and be very firm with the dog about not playing with them and just leaving them alone. I am really more concerned about the chickens pecking the dog. Has anyone experienced anything like that?? The Dog is just under 50lbs or so. I really would like them to get along so the chickens can roam the yard freely. The Standard Schnauzer Breed is known to be smart, easily trained and protective. I think if they are introduced early they will be fine. The Dog has been around puppies and nipped at by them and has never shown any aggression in this scenario either... he always walked away when he had enough. The more I am pondering about it the more I am confident the Dog will be great with them. Again, I think I am more worried about the Dog getting hurt.

I've got tons of pics of him grooming chicks and them using him as a playground, but I haven't gotten a pic of him grooming Big Blue. I'll see what I can do. Meanwhile, here's one of him with a chick:

s320x240.jpg

I always do, but under very close supervision.

I would always be present... especially during the first few months. I am home full time so that would not be an issue... plus the Dog is a house dog and only outside for an hour or 2 a day in the summer time.

Love that your Dog grooms the chickens... that awesome!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom