1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Introduce two new hens to my three hen flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ChickEngineer, Oct 22, 2013.

1. ChickEngineer

ChickEngineer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    I have three hens two years old, one RR and two AC's. Not getting enough eggs so would like to add two more girls (city limit).
    The RR is a bit of a bully so was thinking of pullets not chicks. I can make something temporary next to the coop for the new girls. How long before they could be put together?

2. Sandstorm495

Sandstorm495 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Darwin, Australia
    Hens can be put together straight away, it just depends on how friendly they are to each other.
    It's good that you have decided on keeping pullets instead of chicks. I doubt the chicks would ever be fully accepted by the older ones.
    There is no real answer for your question because it depends on how friendly the older hens are to the pullets.. You can start by making them eat close together so they have contact with each other without fighting. Once they are getting along fine with each other, then you can put them in with the three older hens.

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    The time I recommend is a week, but longer can help. After that, letting them mingle for a week or more before actually putting them in the same coop, also is good. The more space they have the easier it goes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by