Introduced 2 new hens - how long will pecking last?

lamorris

In the Brooder
Jul 9, 2018
I have 2 hens (silver laced wyandottes) about 6 months old, and introduced two similar aged hens just this past Monday (about 3 days ago now). I put them in the coop at night and they all seemed okay the next day, but today I've noticed my original 2 are definitely pecking the new ones when they get close. How long does this behavior generally last? I don't really have a set-up that allows for the "see but don't touch" scenario, so I have to keep them together in the same run and hen house.

How long it lasts is going to depend on the birds, the amount of space you have, their age, the number of feeders/waterers, etc.
The more space, the better. The more feeding/watering locations the better. Closer in age and temperament = better. As long as no one is drawing blood and everyone is getting enough to eat and drink, let them work things out.

I just put my three SLW’s in with the rest of the flock. We’ve introduce new chickens before, and it usually takes a few days for them to figure out the new pecking order. There’s always gonna be that one hen that picks on the other ones, but I agree with @DobieLover : as long as they don’t make each other bleed and they have enough space, it’ll work itself out. :)

Dark places and obstacles to hide behind are good, avoid creating corners they can get stuck in.

This is actually SUPER important. I remember when I introduced Rosie to the other bantams, they got her wedged in between two bricks and picked her face to pieces. One whole side of her face was bleeding when we got home from church. To this day, she has an ‘eyebrow’ where her feathers grew back funny. She constantly look like she’s glaring at me when she looks at me with that side of her face.
The moral of the story is make sure there aren’t any places where they can corner each other.

I don't know if it ever really stops some of the older ones i have seem to like to continuously remind the new ones who is boss. I also think it depends on the birds. I have an original girl who likes to sleep and doesn't mind being around the new ones. While another does nothing but chase them away if within view of her. I will say this. I just had a fox on the other side of the fence a few days ago and all 10 were lined up side by side ready to kick the foxes ass. :confused:(sorry i don't have the smartest chooks) Once the fox was gone back to 2 separate groups. I think its just they way the "flock" dynamic is.

I am having the same situation. I just lost my “boss” hen to a dog very recently. This is my first time to have chickens, and I have 1 EE 2 Buff Orphingtons. They are all 8 months old. I just got 2 Marans 2days ago that are approximately the same age. I have put the new birds ina metal dog crate. I have an A Frame coop and small run but the dog crate does not fit in the door, it is on my patio. When I let my 3 out they were wary of newcomers & there was some pecking & posturing between the Orphingtons and one of the new birds.
Nothing crazy though. I’m just wondering how long to keep them separated and then how to integrate them in the coop/run.

I have 2 hens... about 6 months old, and introduced two similar aged hens just this past Monday... I put them in the coop at night and they all seemed okay the next day, but today I've noticed my original 2 are definitely pecking the new ones when they get close. How long does this behavior generally last?...

The behavior that you mentioned will last in one form or the other for as long as your hens live. It doesn't sound like you have anything other than normal hens.

Iamorris- how is it working out ? I have let my 5 hens interact in the backyard today and there were a few tussels but overall well.
I still have the 2 new ones sleeping separately.

Back
Top Bottom