Introduced 9 Golden Comet Hens.

BB3

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 30, 2008
I was given 9 golden comet hens by a friend who was moving, well I have 4 Bantam roosters and 2 bantam Hens. So far the roosters have kept them out of the coop last night and its like 2 seperate flocks. I didnt think the roosters would be the mean ones plus these hens are a little bigger than them. I hope they try to get along.

I havent been on here in over 9 months,

Last edited:
I will be doing this in a few weeks too and am very worried on how to go about this. I have 9 that are about 10 weeks old and a batch of two week old chicks that I plan on mixing together once they get old enough. Hope I dont have a bunch of dead birds on my hands.

Miami county huh. I used to live in Piqua.

cool.png
Sorry I'm so late in my reply, my PC got hit by Trojans! We've been working on repairs and spybot Seems to have gotten me back up & running happily.
TO your post,
thumbsup.gif
CONGRATS on the 9 hens!
yippiechickie.gif
wee.gif
Your friend was very generous!

I had raised mine frome 1 day old , so far one rooster has liked them but the Easter Egg Rooster is sort of mean I think he is like a game Rooster, l live around Pleasant Hill Troy Area.

A week ago we introduced 11 new GC started pullets (18 Wks) to our existing flock of 19 GC's and there be a lotta angst in the henhouse these days! There are a couple of the older Gals who are just plain mean to the Youngsters. There's nothing I can do about it though except to let them work out the pecking order. You just have to turn a blind eye to the whole thing. It's settling down but it'll take another couple of weeks before the Youngsters learn to stay out of sight or at least the reach of the enforcers so they don't get nailed everytime they come down off the roost. By the way, for the first week all 11 of the Youngsters pretty much spent their entire day on the roost inside the coop. We had to put another waterer and food up there for them. But now they're venturing down but whenever one of the Meanies sees they they go running back up. They get a break when the older Gals are sand bathing or when we let them out of the run at dusk to free range for about an hour before they come back in.

And I'm pretty sure the two Meanies are the two Omega hens who were the lowest ones on the totem pole of the original 19 Gals, so I guess it's what goes around, comes around...
roll.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom