introduced chickens at night - but they woke up and started fighting...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wahmommy, Feb 10, 2013.

1. wahmommy

wahmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2010
    I have four pullets that I moved into the bigger coop a couple of days ago. I just moved my two adult hens in with them. During my doing this, both the pullets and the hens woke up. I put the hens next to the pullets on the ground (that's where the pullets sleep, and the hens have been sleeping in next boxes, so I figured that would be okay, and then one of the hens (even though it was fairly dark) began running around and attacking the pullets. Will they wake up and be friends? Or will this go on tomorrow as well? I'm a little worried - I thought they stayed asleep and then they'd wake up buddy buddy...

2. Brookliner

Brookliner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Southern New Hampshire
    They won't be buddy buddy until they work out the pecking order. Just make sure that there is no blood. If there is treat the hen/pulley that is hurt with bluekote. Read up on pecking order. Things will work themselves out. Not just immediately.

3. Chambertin

Chambertin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    Funabashi Japan
    My Coop
    Sometimes it helps for them to see each other for a little while first.
    When I do it, I like to take them in 2 at a time and carry them aroud with the rest of the flock looking at me & the new girls.
    Or, if its a posibility, close a screen door and have them in sight but seperated.
    After a while I set the new ones down, or open a door. I usually see better results if I'm the one brining them in compared to just opening a door and walking away.

No matter what there will be some fighting, its just what they do and how they solve problems. Limited vocabulary = fights, same thing with people.

As said above just watch out for blood and if you can go out there and be a rooster, break up any fights near the food or nest boxes, but let them have at it if they need to away from the rest of the relaxed birds. Fights can spread fast in the hen house, try to minimise the stress and impact of pecking order adjustments.

4. allison finch

allison finch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I once introduced four new hens to my five hens. When they woke up it was like the Bloods and the Crips...fighting all the time. They, eventually, worked out the pecking order and all was good. I now have six hens and four new ones in a coop. I divided the run and set up a temp coop in the divided off section. The new hens are in there. They can see and interact with the existing hens, but are safe from attack. After a couple of weeks, I will put my boss hen in with the new girls. She will work things out with them and become protective of them. Then, after a month, or so, I will put them all together one night.

Yes there will be fighting, but hopefully just for a short while.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by