Introduced new pullets/question

Michelew650

Chirping
Sep 5, 2019
Lyman, Maine
After reading everything I possibly could, did the slow semi-introduction so they could get to know each other, last week I put my four 15 week old pullets in with my five 3 year old hens. In some ways it's gone well. I thought for sure I'd have to be blukoting wounds but no injuries at all. We already removed the biggest bully once but she is already the low chicken so comes back and starts again. My question is the babies have realized after the big girls go out into the run in the morning, they can go up on the top roost and be safe. But then they stay there. When they try to come down to eat and drink someone comes in and chases them off. (I added a second food and water in the run hoping the big girls would stay out) I know it's what they do, and it's only been a week but a few times and hour a hen will walk through the coop just to intimidate or chase off a baby. Will they starve? Or get dehydrated? Will they eventually get brave enough to not run and cower when one of the hens comes in to peck at them and eat? We currently let the hens have afternoon supervised chicken free range and that's when the babies come out to the run and dust bath and eat. But in 2 weeks we are going away for a week and my chicken sitter can't let them out. So I am worried they babies won't eat. I really read every article and thought I did everything right.

Hello! I had a similar issue and was getting worried because their crops were empty at night! My solution that has worked is that I blocked off a section of the run with a bench on its side so there's a place where I can put food where the others don't really see them unless they go around the bench.

Back
Top Bottom