Introducing 2 different batches of chicks to eachother

BearsDen

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2019
i know introducing chicks to a flock could be difficult and needs to be progressive...but what about introducing two batches of chicks to eachother?? I’m thinking it will be a piece of cake because they are so young but am I foolish for thinking that?? Five 2week old hatched still currently with mama hen and eight 3wk olds who were purchased and in a brooder currently...thinking of putting the 5 in the brooder so mama could be back with flock what do you think?

I find introducing chick batches harder than chicks to adult. Just like kids at elementary school, there's always some bullies to make troubles. Take it slow.

Sometimes people have luck combining them in a new territory where everyone is freaked out, and they all settle together.

I find introducing chick batches harder than chicks to adult. Just like kids at elementary school, there's always some bullies to make troubles. Take it slow.

Sometimes people have luck combining them in a new territory where everyone is freaked out, and they all settle together.

Thank YOU! Good idea about new area ...maybe I will wait till putting them from the tote brooder into the pack n play.

I have the same issue. I have 3-week old chicks and I just bought 1-week old chicks today. I brought them home and thought wow... those few weeks sure make a difference in size. 1st I put the new chicks in with the others and they were getting trampled on so I took them out and put them in a box alone. I'm going to try and build a chicken wire divider in my current brooder so they can get to know each other through a wire fence. I'll keep you posted.

I tried introducing separate batches last year. I think they were about 2 weeks apart, at most. And they all just kept fighting. I had to keep them in their separate brooders.

However, this year I was about to introduce new babies to a group of one week old babies. I had purchased 4 bantams, and a week later they had silkies so I grabbed 4 more. They are all living in harmony in one brooder, with 4 ducks.

I think the age plays a big role. Last year they were all 2 to 3 weeks, while this year the oldest were a week old.

Bantams in general are less rowdy that standard breed chicks. They younger they are the easier it will be. I do agree chicks over 2 weeks are harder to add new ones to.

i know introducing chicks to a flock could be difficult and needs to be progressive...but what about introducing two batches of chicks to eachother?? I’m thinking it will be a piece of cake because they are so young but am I foolish for thinking that?? Five 2week old hatched still currently with mama hen and eight 3wk olds who were purchased and in a brooder currently...thinking of putting the 5 in the brooder so mama could be back with flock what do you think?
The broody makes this more complicated...
Usually mama will decide when to wean the chicks and 'go back to the flock'. Hmmm...wait..so is broody and her chicks separated from the flock?

How big is your brooder...and where is it located?
I have had combining chicks within a 6wk age range go great...and also disastrously.

I'd say you have some 'chicken juggling' ahead of you.
Knowing more about your cop and runs might help garner viable suggestions.

I now integrate chicks into the flock at 4-6 weeks old,
brooding them with heat in the coop 1 week after hatch.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/integrating-new-birds-at-4-weeks-old.72603/

The Mama hen wanted to go back with the flock but I was too nervous about letting the chicks go with her...I had the batch that were purchased in a tote brooder so I ended up transferring the hatched and the purchased into a pack n play all at the same time so it was a new environment for all of them at once and it worked beautifully without any fighting...my next phase will be integrating all of the chicks to the flock which I’m not ready for yet.

Back
Top Bottom