Introducing 2 new hens to 1 bantam Game Cock Rooster and 1 Hen

JustJ

Hatching
10 Years
Jun 15, 2009
Northern Calfornia
I am new to the forum but have read a lot on this topic so have just one more question. I have a bantam Old English Game rooster and hen that were "dumped" on my property. I have become fond of them, especially the rooster. I have purchased 2 new standard sized pullets who are 10 weeks old becuase the roo was too much for just one hen. I have read much on here about introducing new ones to the "flock." I have kept them separated by a pen so far, but started letting them mix a little today. The roo immediately went after one of the pullets and attacked her pretty visciously. Feathers were flying! I hate to remove him from the flock but how far do I let the attacking go before I give up?
sad.png

They all roost in the same barn at night, with the newbies in their own pen. In the morning the bantams free range but I am still keepign the newbies in the barn. Any input I can get would be great!

At 10 weeks old they are probably still a bit young to be with the adult roo. In a month or so, they should be fine. The roo will probably "put them in line" first, then accept them as his. He has to recognize them as hens first though, so if they are still peeping like chicks, he might just not get it.

Once they are about the same size/maturity level, let the pecking go until you see blood.

WELCOME!!!

Thank you! One is still peeping. One is a Golden Sex Link and the other a Light Brahma so they are already taller than he is, but definitely still babies. Thanks for the advice. Just want this to work out because I am fond of them all!

Back
Top Bottom