introducing 3 month chicks to our 1/2 yr old chickens

mummybear

In the Brooder
May 17, 2017
our chicks who are 2 months old, not 3 months, who live in a separate pen to our older chickens, who see each other everyday, when can I put them into the same pen?

I choose a night exposure and put the young girls on the next lower roosting bar after the old girls have gone to bed for the night. The old girls might reach down and peck the new chicks but it's a lot easier than throwing them into the run while everybody's awake so the old girls can have their way with the babies. Then you just let them sort it out the next day but I would do it on a day that you are home in case any of the babies get in a lot of trouble.

I choose a night exposure and put the young girls on the next lower roosting bar after the old girls have gone to bed for the night. The old girls might reach down and peck the new chicks but it's a lot easier than throwing them into the run while everybody's awake so the old girls can have their way with the babies. Then you just let them sort it out the next day but I would do it on a day that you are home in case any of the babies get in a lot of trouble.
thank you,i will try tonight xx

I have a year old chicken and 4 month old babies I have had them around each other to try and ease to transition together but every time they are together she goes after them. The babies (4) are currently in the new coop and the chicken is in with the ducks at night. I would love to have all the chickens together but fear she will hurt the little ones and I get so upset when she pecks at them and my daughter age 10 cries if she is around because she gets so upset, thoughts?

I have a year old chicken and 4 month old babies I have had them around each other to try and ease to transition together but every time they are together she goes after them. The babies (4) are currently in the new coop and the chicken is in with the ducks at night. I would love to have all the chickens together but fear she will hurt the little ones and I get so upset when she pecks at them and my daughter age 10 cries if she is around because she gets so upset, thoughts?
same here, our children cry when this happens, the chicks and bigger chickens can see each other allday everyday,but scared to put them all together x

Back
Top Bottom