Introducing 4 month old Rooster to 2 week old chick....Is it safe?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HOUDINI1961, Jul 23, 2010.

1. HOUDINI1961

HOUDINI1961 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2010
    FLORIDA
    I want my rooster to meet my chick. The rooster is curious but I stop him at about 6" from the chick. Don't know if he wants to inspect or attack. Any thoughts?

Sometimes when he hears the chick chirping for attention and also when the chick flaps its wings, the rooster lets out these weird sounds, almost demon-like!

My four month old Barred Rock chicken seems to be affraid of the chick instead of acting like a Mom(she's not the mother of the chick).

Our rooster is so tame, he lets us clean corn off his beak and from around his eyes. He cuddles into us like a cat. We rub his legs and feet and he loves it!

Will put pics up soon.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    You could try it with close supervision. A bigger chicken will often attack a little one though....and they can kill a smaller one....I wish chickens weren't like that.........just be very careful.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

For the past two days, I have been dealing with my 2 month olds picking on some 6 week olds, and those same 6 week olds picking on my 4 week old bantams.

(The bantams are almost killed every time they wander into the 2 month old pen, as they can slip through the fence.)

Now they are ALL separated for a few days at least so everyone (including me) can rest. Whew!!! So if you ask me if I trust a 4 month old boy? I would say no. [​IMG]

4. HOUDINI1961

HOUDINI1961 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2010
    FLORIDA
    Thanks for your replies.

I'm your typical chicken Dad..."my rooster would never do that, I brought him up right!".

Yes, thanks, I will be very careful then. It's hard to decipher if the rooster is crowing when the chick cries because he is overprotective or jealous when we pick the chick up.

5. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    *pics* [​IMG]

6. Mel P

Mel P Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    I'm not sure if this is 'normal' or not, but my rooster takes VERY good care of the small chicks in the yard. One chick has been sleeping with him (under his wing) since its mom decided to start roosting in the top of thier house where they couldn't get to. I'm new to this forum and wanted to ask if that was normal when I can across this posting. I think I uploaded the photo of them but not sure yet.
    [​IMG]

sorry pic is so big...don't know how to size it...I'm suprised it actually got on here...

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  7. valley ranch

valley ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

We have a very good roo! He's a little rumbunksus with the hen until he has taken care of his must do. Then he is good with the whole tribe. When we throw out a treat he calls and holds food in his beak for the girls to take, and he is gentle to the little ones.
    All that we have hatched are his offspring.

8. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

Mel P - love the photo. Your boy sounds like a great stand-in mom [​IMG]

9. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    A www... I love a good broody roo pic!

10. Fritatta

Fritatta Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Woodstock, GA
    Quote:thats about the sweetest pic i have ever seen, what a MAN that rooster is!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by