Introducing 6 new chicks to established flock of 11

puppinchix

Hatching
12 Years
Jun 5, 2007
eureka,mt
Hello to all. Has been many months since I posted, hope all your flocks are well.
We have an established flock of 11 hens: 2 Golden Campines; 1 RIR Bantam; 4 Buff Orps; and 4 Anconas. Recently we purchased 6 chicks pullets: 3 Australorps; 1 Red Cornish; 1 RIR; and 1 Golden sex-linked. We have the babies inside and they are approx 3 weeks - losing downy feathers.
I am concerned about how to introduce the new ones to our established flock. I read some earlier posts on this subject, but the established flock there was 5; so separating our 11 into separate cages and moving them away from each other for a week is not very feasible. Any other suggestions?

Well, once your babies are about the same size as the adults, about 16 weeks old, you can let them free range together. Then once acquainted, put them together in the big coop with the rest and let them fight it out. They will fight to establish pecking order, but no matter how much you want to help, don't, unless of course someone ends up seriously injured which I doubt will happen. They need to fight it out and establish a new pecking order. Do make sure there is enough room for the new ones to run away and hide if necessary. It will take a few weeks, but peace should return to the flock. Congrats on the babies and best of luck!

I moved my 'keepers' into the big pen with the other chickens when they were about 12 weeks and getting close in size to the older girls.

There was a bit of chasing and pecking, but no blood shed.

big_smile.png
Thanks for your replies. The new chickies and their coop mates (4 turkey poults) are separated from the big girls now. They are 7 weeks old, and doing really well. The chickies and poults are flocking up so I think that will help.
We had the chickies in a bunny cage in with the big girls for a couple weeks, and the big chicks didn't seem too bothered by them.
Would like to turn everyone out together sooner than 5 weeks but will see how they do growth wise.

i put mine out at 6 weeks and gave them there own space.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=42432

we had one serious pecking which required about a week in the infirmary (brought back in to the brooder) after about 3 days we brought a friend in for her and they did fine for the rest of the week.

This sunday should make 3 weeks they have been together. based on progress ive seen it will probibly be another 2 weeks before i consider takeing down there side of the wall.

Back
Top Bottom