Introducing a bantam hen to standard hens?

Wherever they have been sleeping and eating is where they are going to consider their home to be and where they will return when it's time to go in at night.
So, right now their area is inside the shed, like ive already mentioned. I think then, whenI let them out then, Ill let them out through the main entrance of the shed (the door I use).

So, right now their area is inside the shed, like ive already mentioned. I think then, whenI let them out then, Ill let them out through the main entrance of the shed (the door I use).

That's how it works here too. The pop door to the run is open but I leave the people door open so they can come out into the barn and from there they have access to the pasture. There are lots of places to hide and the older birds are interested but they have a harder time keeping track of the youngsters lol so they don't tend to fixate on them as much. They seem to get bored pretty quickly and just head off to forage in the pasture and the younger group eventually follows along.

I'm in the process of introducing my 4 bantams to my full sized flock. They were in a dog crate located inside the coop where they were visible to everyone, but then they were evicted when an injured hurt full sized hen needed it more.

They are currently in a large tote with a small hole cut into the back that only they can fit through. Their food is located on the outside of the tote and when it is quiet they will mingle with the big hens, eat and run around. When things get crazy or they feel threatened they retreat to their safety zone. My plan is to gradually move the food further and further away from the hole until they are coming out more often to eat and then I will eventually take away the access to the crate except for certain times of the day (like when things can be crazy).

I don't know if this is the right way or not, but it seems to be working so far. One benefit that they have is that their size allows them to be faster then the full sized hens so it is easier for them to get away and into the tote when they need to.

Oh, and if for some reason what I said before doesn't work I plan on mixing them with the four full sized hens that I have ordered for spring when the time comes. Then I can mix them into the full flock with some full sized buddies.

I'm in the process of introducing my 4 bantams to my full sized flock. They were in a dog crate located inside the coop where they were visible to everyone, but then they were evicted when an injured hurt full sized hen needed it more.

They are currently in a large tote with a small hole cut into the back that only they can fit through. Their food is located on the outside of the tote and when it is quiet they will mingle with the big hens, eat and run around. When things get crazy or they feel threatened they retreat to their safety zone. My plan is to gradually move the food further and further away from the hole until they are coming out more often to eat and then I will eventually take away the access to the crate except for certain times of the day (like when things can be crazy).

I don't know if this is the right way or not, but it seems to be working so far. One benefit that they have is that their size allows them to be faster then the full sized hens so it is easier for them to get away and into the tote when they need to.
Oh thanks, I'll try the tote idea. Sounds like a good plan!

Back
Top Bottom