Introducing a Chicken to Another Flock

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SkylaSilkie, Jan 3, 2013.

1. SkylaSilkie

SkylaSilkie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2012
    Florida
    My Coop
    I'm thinking of putting a younger chicken with another flock of older chickens. I've been wanting to do it for a while and now that she's laying I think it's time. Lucky, the one I'm trying to intoduce, is about 7-8 months old. The others are about 9-11 months old. 5 out of 6 of them hate her. One chicken will walk with her without pecking her. Another avoids her, but doesn't hurt her. Should I try to just put them together or the whole flock?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  2. TheSpeckledRoo

TheSpeckledRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2012
    Michigan
    First things first, have you isolated the hen you want to introduce? You wan to isolate the hen for thirty days. If she is the same size i wouldn't worry about introducing her. What most people do is allow all the girls to free range, then you throw in the other hen so they are on neutral ground. After a couple days of this, i usually add the hen at night time very silently without disturbing the other hens. There will be some pecking going on but that is normal.

3. ChelleBelle

ChelleBelle Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2012
    Glendale, Arizona
    I have 5 hens that were hatched in the first week of August. How would I go about adding a new chick. I'm thinking of adding a Polish to the mix. I really like the crest on their head.

4. she will probably get picked on so be careful

5. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    There are a few ideas that might be helpful on the "Keeping Peace in Your Coop" page on my site linked in my sig below.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by