Introducing a drake to an existing flock

gottsegnet

Songster
10 Years
Mar 19, 2009
Nebraska
We just got a beautiful Indian Runner drake to add to our little flock of three. I've read about introductions and have introduced chickens, but our ducks run with our geese. Is there anything special I need to do to protect him from the three hens and the three geese?

I was thinking of penning him near them for a time, then moving the ducks in with him and then letting them all out together once the ducks are bonded. I had to beat my geese off a chicken once during an introduction when I thought he had ample space to get away so I'm a little leery of what they could do.

(OK, beat sounds harsh. It involved a broom, but not actual hitting!)

Sounds like a good plan you have - especially bringing the ducks to him after a time - rather than the other way. Separation -but being able to see each other will help. I did that when introducing a new trio of ducks to my flock- I had two or three attempts at merging the groups after a few days as there was some scuffling between the drakes- but the last time involved the head drake walking up to the new drake- standing very tall and doing a strange head bob and letting out a very strange noise. ( kind of like the behavior I see in them after mating ) I also brought home a new drake a few months later- late in the evening- I put everyone to bed- brought the new drake into his own little section of the night pens- and he promptly went to the corner and half flew half climbed the fence- and was fine in with the flock. Not a single sideways glance form the others boys!! It can depend a lot on hormones and dominance within the flock as to how easy it can be to introduce new birds- but since you dont have a drake already- at least your new boys only has females to contend with . Good luck..

We brought a drake into an existing flock of 4 females. He chased them around a bit and they were not sure of him, but when it got dark, he was welcomed into the duck house as long as he stayed over on the other side. This lasted a bout 2 days and then he was totally welcomed. Even my chickens welcomed him (all pullets).

I have the same problem. The thing is that I have 1 drake and 4 ducks and I'm adding an extra drake. Don't know how this will play out. If you have any suggestions I'd greatly appreciate. Thanks!

I have the same problem. The thing is that I have 1 drake and 4 ducks and I'm adding an extra drake. Don't know how this will play out. If you have any suggestions I'd greatly appreciate. Thanks!
First of all your going to need more ducks the best ratio is 3and up females to 1 drake. Drakes are so sex crazed they can injure and strip feathers off of a female by over mating her. I'd set your new drake up in a secure pen along side of the resident ducks you have now and begin searching for some more females in the mean time the ones you have are getting use to living with each other then when you get your new females try putting them in with the new drake with their own space so he cant get to them. Once everyone has lived side by side for a while try them all out together offering treats. There will still be some pecking order but they should blend into the flock much better being introduced slowly.

Back
Top Bottom