Introducing a feral chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by siouxbhoney, Feb 5, 2017.

1. siouxbhoney

siouxbhoney Just Hatched

Jun 17, 2016
    My neighbor has a feral chicken hanging around his yard so he has offered her to me. I'm all set up to quarantine the new girl and introduce slowly but does anybody have any experience taking in Ferals? Anything I should know ahead of time? I don't know anything about the chicken yet.

2. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    She probably has mites/lice. I would give her a once over, check her vent, feel for pin bones, watch her behavior and look at her poop to see if it's healthy. I would probably put her within squawking distance of the other hens for a few weeks, but not close enough for any kind of physical contact (assuming your birds are bug free).

If all is well, you can start to introduce them by putting their enclosures right next to each other, but with a fence separating. That way they can fight and peck with the ability to get away if needed. Two weeks of that has worked like a charm every time, at least in my experience!

3. siouxbhoney

siouxbhoney Just Hatched

Jun 17, 2016
    How do i get rid of the mites?

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    If feral and appears to be in good health, then parasites likely not to be an issue. Show a picture of her. Breed might be important.

5. siouxbhoney

siouxbhoney Just Hatched

Jun 17, 2016
    I dont have a pic yet. Ill snap one when i catch her. :)

6. siouxbhoney

siouxbhoney Just Hatched

Jun 17, 2016
    [​IMG]

7. siouxbhoney

siouxbhoney Just Hatched

Jun 17, 2016
    Black sex link?

8. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Looks to be at least part game chicken. I assume she can fly very strongly. Image not best but she appears very healthy. Do not treat.

9. chippy99th

chippy99th Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2016
    Arizona
    She looks lovely. In my experience ferals usually do pretty well being introduced, since they tend to be pretty tough and don't put up with much bullying. We get a lot of ferals due to my neighbors from years ago being unable to control their chickens' breeding and escaping! They are mostly game mutts like yours, and they actually tend to be healthier than our pure breeds overall.

1 person likes this.
  10. siouxbhoney

siouxbhoney Just Hatched

Jun 17, 2016
    Sorry to say, a hawk got this girl before i could. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by