Introducing a friend for my Goldie

johncampanelli

Chirping
11 Years
Jun 13, 2008
Hudson, Ohio

Earlier this summer -- in the middle of the day! -- a fox came into my back yard (in a suburb), bull-rushed my chicken run and killed two of my three girls.

My third hen, Goldie, was carried a few 100 yards by the fox, and as a neighbor and I chased him, he dropped her.

She was a bloody mess, but with TLC and her strong will, she's back, even laying eggs virtually every day. She is amazing.

But I am noticing that she is looking for companionship. She follows us around the yard in the evenings and really craves interaction.

The question is, what should I do? Get another adult hen and introduce her? Get a couple chicks?

What's your advice and what's best for my Goldie?

I would get another adult, and maybe two. It will not be an instant friendship, but will be better for her in the long run. I would try waiting till dark, and putting them in the coop with her at night, sometimes that works, but sometimes it doesn't. Generally, (kind of sorta) She will have the home court advantage, but if there are two of the new comers, it spreads the pecking around. A few feathers might fly, but if there is no blood let them work it out.

I would not recommend chicks, as it takes them so long for them to grow up, and often times a mature bird will kill chicks.

Mrs K

I would get another adult, and maybe two. It will not be an instant friendship, but will be better for her in the long run. I would try waiting till dark, and putting them in the coop with her at night, sometimes that works, but sometimes it doesn't. Generally, (kind of sorta) She will have the home court advantage, but if there are two of the new comers, it spreads the pecking around. A few feathers might fly, but if there is no blood let them work it out.

I would not recommend chicks, as it takes them so long for them to grow up, and often times a mature bird will kill chicks.

Mrs K
X2
Sorry about your chickens! :hugs

Mrs K
Thank you so much.

Back
Top Bottom