Introducing a "friend" to a chicken

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by KM and Ruthie, Mar 21, 2013.

1. KM and Ruthie

KM and Ruthie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2013
    Hi!
    Three of our chickens were in one coop, and two buff orpingtons in the other. One of the two recently died, and now Ruthie is left alone. The other three girls pick on Ruthie, so they can't be combined. We would like to get a friend for Ruthie. Should we get just a single chick, two chicks, or an older chicken? She and Frances were best friends, and I want her to have a friend like that again. What breed would you recommend for the match?
    Thanks!
    Katherine

2. jnntefend

jnntefend Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    East Texas
    Hi Katherine, and welcome to BYC. It could be that Ruthie would mix in eventually with your Orps, if given a little time, IF you can't stomach that, I would try the same breed or color that Ruthie is, or a breed known for docility. You should have some luck putting young, recently feathered birds in with her. But there will be some jostling around any time new birds are mixed, so they can establish their pecking order.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Katherine, and [​IMG]! Great to have you here! I certainly think Ruthie needs a playmate since she can't be with the others. If you've given it the old college try and it still won't work, I'd start with a Buff Orp chick and raise her up and introduce her to Ruthie. Good luck to you!

4. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG]

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

6. KM and Ruthie

Mar 21, 2013
    Thank you so much for getting back!
    When I tried before to combine them, Ruthie had part of her comb torn apart by the others. :( She is the friendliest and best chicken, and i don't want her to have to go through that. Would you recommend getting just a single chick, or two? while they would still be little, should I have them around Ruthie, but protected with a fence in between them so they can get used to each other?

7. jnntefend

Mar 8, 2013
    East Texas
    Mmmm, I think separating them like that may actually cause more trouble then help. It seems counterintuitive, but when you have them separate, the chicks will form their own pecking order, and, when thrown into the mix with Ruthie, they will have to buck for position again, stressing everyone out. One or two should be fine, either way.

8. KM and Ruthie

Mar 21, 2013
    So just combine them when they are almost full grown?

9. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

10. jnntefend

Mar 8, 2013
    East Texas
    Yup. At about 8 weeks, or even earlier, depending on the weather.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by