introducing a grown roo into a flock of hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by molliescollies, Nov 16, 2009.

1. molliescollies

molliescollies Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2009
    Hello all. I have a question. I lost my beloved Brahma roo and a friend told me he would give me one of his grown, game-bird roos. His chickens are completely wild, no coop etc. How would I introduce him to my lovely, coop-trained laying girls? I wouldn't want to upset the girls' order, yet I feel that a roo is an important part of the flock. Should I wait until I can get another, calmer breed of chicken, or will this wilder version of chicken be an okay addition to my small flock of 8 hens. Any ideas? Thanks!
    ~Molly

2. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Well this is just my opinion but, if you put him in with coop and run raised girls it will take him some time to adjust and he will need a little training as well. First thing I almost forgot to say, you will want to quarantine him for a period of time so you are sure to not get your girls infected with anything he may have. Not positive how long but I am positive this site can tell you that as well.

3. molliescollies

molliescollies Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2009
    Hey, thanks for the reply, glad you reminded me to keep him alone for awhile. No problem there.
    ~Molly

4. LeghornLisa

LeghornLisa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    I would keep him in custody for a while but also keep a close eye on him and the girls once they mix. The poor guys will have to get used to his new home and women and the women will need some adjustment time also. The last thing you need is blood shed, it's different when the ladies are free range and have lots of room to roam, when they are closed in with the big man who knows what will happen, good luck and keep us posted. I just lost 2 roos and am heart broken about it.....enjoy your big boy!

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I made the mistake once of putting a feral China Game into my coop with my girls. It was nothing but chaos and blood. I ended up rehoming him.

6. The Zoo

The Zoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Hayward, CA
    I have a 7 month old roo that grew up with my older ladies (they watched him grow up) and they loathe him and want nothing to do with him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by