Introducing a new cat to chickens

Gallinarium

Crowing
Apr 15, 2020
America
I recently got a previously feral cat, who was apparently born this fall. As she was lathered in affection often by the people who fed her, she's extremely friendly. As soon as the cold snap is over, I'm going to start introducing her to the outside world, (She's currently staying in the garage.)
My chickens are in a coop/run, but I might might start free-ranging them come spring.
So what is the best way to introduce a cat to chickens?
I've read that cats aren't usually a threat to adult chickens, but I'm guessing there's some measures you can take just in case.

We have had lots of cats and none ever bothered the chickens. They seem to like the chickens. I have a female cat who likes to sleep on top of the brooder whenever we get new chicks. She feels they are her babies.
I have seen my hens put a cat in his place.

My cats like to watch the chickens and lay with them in the sun sometimes, but have never tried to hurt an adult chicken. My roosters sometimes charge a cat if it gets too testy.

Thanks for the advice. The cat is now outdoors, and likes sitting on top of the coop/run tunnel and watch chicken TV. That's actually quite cute.
There's really only one chicken I'm worried about, a Silver Leghorn who's the smallest of the group. I've been told by others on here who also own Silver Leghorns that the adorable little tininess is genetic. Is she in any more danger than the others?
Probably not, but I just want an opinion on that before I start free-ranging them.
A picture for reference on size, you can the the White Leghorn for comparison:

1618591578690.png

Back
Top Bottom