Can You Keep Cats with Chickens?

Mar 1, 2023
Hi all,

I have five adult laying hens. I'm not sure how old they are (the farm I purchased them from didn't tell me). The only one I have even a slight age estimate for is Gertrude, who I believe only started laying eggs last May, so I can estimate that she's nine to ten months old. She's definitely the youngest, though.

My chickens live in a coop in the garage during the night, and a 200 square foot secure run during the day. Would it be safe for the chickens if I purchased one or two cats? The cats would sleep in the garage (outside of the coop) and spend the day wherever they wanted to in the yard. Also, could I free-range my chickens at the same time as two cats? I would almost certainly get adult cats from a local rescue shelter. Thanks.

Kuritsa

Note: The chicken in my avatar is Gertrude. The video was taken earlier this summer. 😊

Hi all,

I have five adult laying hens. I'm not sure how old they are (the farm I purchased them from didn't tell me). The only one I have even a slight age estimate for is Gertrude, who I believe only started laying eggs last May, so I can estimate that she's nine to ten months old. She's definitely the youngest, though.

My chickens live in a coop in the garage during the night, and a 200 square foot secure run during the day. Would it be safe for the chickens if I purchased one or two cats? The cats would sleep in the garage (outside of the coop) and spend the day wherever they wanted to in the yard. Also, could I free-range my chickens at the same time as two cats? I would almost certainly get adult cats from a local rescue shelter. Thanks.

Kuritsa

Note: The chicken in my avatar is Gertrude. The video was taken earlier this summer. 😊
It would be nice if we could give you a definitive answer but it really depends on the cats. MOST cats would not bother full grown chickens, but there are cats that will, and have, gone after chickens. Most at risk would be chicks, and Bantam breeds. Generally speaking, in my experience, female cats tend to be better hunters all their lives, and kittens up to two years of both sexes may try to "play" with any prey species. A couple of middle aged male cats would be a pretty safe choice, IMO.

It would be nice if we could give you a definitive answer but it really depends on the cats. MOST cats would not bother full grown chickens, but there are cats that will, and have, gone after chickens. Most at risk would be chicks, and Bantam breeds. Generally speaking, in my experience, female cats tend to be better hunters all their lives, and kittens up to two years of both sexes may try to "play" with any prey species. A couple of middle aged male cats would be a pretty safe choice, IMO.
My own cats never went after chickens, bantams or chicks. My girl did seem very keen on the quail when they were inside though. We also lost chicks and a large hen to a feral cat many years ago as well

Where are you located? I have a barn cat needing a home and he is proven to be chicken friendly. Had him since April and he’s never gone after them. I’m in NE KS.

Where are you located? I have a barn cat needing a home and he is proven to be chicken friendly. Had him since April and he’s never gone after them. I’m in NE KS.
I am located in Northern Virginia.

I'd love to see pictures if you've got any. Cat pictures are awesome. :)

I had a friend that lost their chickens to their neighbors cat. It caught about a dozen before she could stop it.

I had an outdoor cat that would go and chill with them, never so much as growled at them, even though he menaced the chickadee and chipmunk population.

Back
Top Bottom