Introducing a new Chicken to the flock. NEWBEE Please help.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gblanchard, Apr 8, 2007.

1. gblanchard

gblanchard New Egg

Apr 8, 2007
    I have raised two standard sized hen's since they were just chicks. They are a little over a year old now. I was just given a 6 month old Light Sussex Bantam. I have had him seperated from the two hen's, but his pen is right next to the hen's pen so that they can see and interact with each other without fightting. I do let my chickens out of their pens during the day to free roam my backyard. I have tried to place the little bantam with the two hen's but one of the hen's is being very aggressive toward's the bantam. I thought is was just a pecking order thing. But the hen just would not leave the little guy alone. He eventually hid his head in a corner just to stop getting beaten up. So I removed the little guy. This was about 4 days ago. While the two hen's were roaming in the yard, I tried to introduce the little guy again and the agressive behavior started all over again. Please Help. Is this normal or do I have to remove the little guy permantly.

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Keep him in his own area but next to the hens so they can get used to him for a while longer. He may have a little bit more growing up to do before he goes in with an onry hen! [​IMG]

3. maggiePI

maggiePI Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2007
    S. Oregon
    My poor banty's head and neck were bleeding after I tried to put her into my big hen's pen and this was after 6 months of being in the yard together. In the pen she had nowhere to go to escape. I put her in at night as was suggested and when I went to get her in the morning - they had nailed her badly. In the yard they just chased her off a few feet and went on about their pecking business.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by