Introducing a new hen

I could of course be wrong, but I am pretty sure if his sheep are wearing jackets it is for protection for the wool. So that the wool does not collect debris, stickers, cockleburs.

I would think the wilds of SD get pretty darn cold, and none of the sheep here wear coats. My in-laws accidentally had a dog hang itself, by getting a collar hooked on something, so I am always leery of collars or blankets or coats that can get hung up on something, especially when running where ever they want. I have heard numerous stories of horses breaking their necks when wearing a halter. So beware.

It would be helpful if you put a general area that you are from, as climate and weather really do affect advice being given.

It sounds to me now, that you do have sufficient space - kind of guessing, but that of course, is another issue with online forums, one is thinking about their own set ups, and know them, and sometimes leave out information to someone guessing on the other side.

My point is go Tuesday - they will be fine.

Mrs K

Yeah that is the problem I think. Different people tell us different things. The farmer we got the sheep from, all their sheep under 6 months old wear jackets. We live in a super cold area.

I'm not sure about the space and exactly how much we need. We built the stall 8x8, then there is the run, so she can go in and out (except at night when we have to close the stall door to protect her from coyotes). I'm really bad at measurements, so let's say the run is as large as my kitchen, living room, bathroom, bedroom and spare room combined. When we're around on the weekend, we let her run free.

Cleaning the manure.. haha, I need it badly for the food plots :) Plus, I don't like seeing it in her stall so I make sure it's cleaned up every day.
Yes, everybody does things differently, looks good to me! But then I don’t know anything about sheep, LOL! I keep nine chickens and I don’t like to see their poop laying around either, so I clean their run area four or five times a day. I go in there and pick up any poo I see laying on the ground. I know that sounds excessive, but it only takes me about 5 or 10 minutes each time. Their total enclosed area is only about 20‘ x 80‘. And there is sand on the ground so it is easy to see the poo. I like to spend time with my girls anyhow and that is how I spend time with them.

Back
Top Bottom