1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Introducing a new rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tawnylee, Sep 17, 2016.

1. tawnylee

tawnylee New Egg

Sep 17, 2016
    Hello! I am trying to figure out the best way to integrate my new rooster. I have 3 hens that have lived together for about 6 years now. It's been 2 years since our rooster passed away and we finally got a new 11 month old bantam Sebrite yesterday. My hens are a Buff Orphington, a Rhode Island Red, and some type of speckled that I'm not sure the breed. We placed our rooster in a smaller kennel inside their coop/pen area for about 18 hours today. When I got home from work I thought I'd let them meet closer so opened his kennel. They all clucked around then on an instant my females went after him. He was not aggressive back at all. He headed for the hills. I pushed the girls off and put him back in his own home. I really want them to accept him. Just more time? Any tricks? Or am I out of luck?!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

If I were a tiny 20 year old guy, tossed in the home of a group of giant old ladies, I'd probably run too [​IMG].

Seriously, I think he'll be fine. You can do the "look but don't touch", or you can put him right in.

Headed for the hills---does this mean not in a run? You'll need to confine him for a week or so to the run so he knows where home is. But besides that, yep, they'll run him around for a bit and probably make his life not so great. But, he's old enough, and Sebrights are usually cocky enough, he'll establish himself fairly soon.

2 people like this.
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

Agrees, time will help....and keep him confined for longer so he knows his new 'home'.

Curious as to your choice of such a tiny cockbird.....he won't be able to fertilize the big girls(I don't think) and probably won't be much 'protection'.
    To cold, as well as inefficient, to keep those tiny birds here....but they are dear, I like miniature things.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by