introducing a new Rooster

hennanny

Songster
Jan 27, 2021
Nor Central Missouri
some may or may not know that we had a Rooster casualty to a Chicken Hawk a few days ago we only have 6 hens but they needless to say are stressed at the moment but as things become more "normal" should we try to introduce a new Rooster? Should it be a youngster that doesn't quite know he's a Rooster yet? Any guidance would be helpful

Hens usually do just fine without a rooster, so it really comes down to whether you want one.

I don't know what age is best.

I wondered if a new Rooster would give them a sense of security and direction? Our old rooster would find food for them a call them over to it..he was a good Rooster.

As you can tell I am really new at all this

I wondered if a new Rooster would give them a sense of security and direction? Our old rooster would find food for them a call them over to it..he was a good Rooster.

As you can tell I am really new at all this

I know a flock can do fine with a rooster or without one, but I don't know what is better for your particular flock.

You could just wait a few weeks and watch how they do, then make a decision.

I know a flock can do fine with a rooster or without one, but I don't know what is better for your particular flock.

You could just wait a few weeks and watch how they do, then make a decision.

oh yea more brainstorming during this 8 degree morning. I wouldn't foresee anything being done flock wise until spring anyway and by then the wife will have the reigns again...hopefully.

Roosters as 'protectors' are mostly sacrificial.
Keep your birds in a secure run for now, the hawk will likely be back.
They will settle down as the pecking order is reset.

I would not add any bird during the frigid winter.

Back
Top Bottom