Introducing a rooster šŸ“ question

JulieBeth07

Songster
Apr 20, 2020
Fort Pierce, FL
I have a flock of 32..
- 26 chickens
-- (13) laying - 5 months old (barred rock, white leghorn, red sexlinks)
-- (13) 3 months old all hens (silver laced wyandotte, ameraucanas, black australorp)

- 6 ducks all female
-- 1 laying - 5 month pekin
-- 5 - 3 month old

Ducks sleep separately in their pen. Chickens have their own house with a secure run. All of them free range together during the day.

My friend is rehoming her blue laced red wyandotte. We want him! šŸ„° he's a young roo. Just started crowing i believe he's about 2/3 months or so. He's in a flock of 7. 2 other hens and 2 ducks (1 drake). They have a house and secure run.

When is best to bring him in? Early in the am so they have the whole day together out and about? Or bring him in this evening maybe into a dog crate in the secure run(?) And let them all out in the am?

Thanks in advance for your help!

When is best to bring him in? Early in the am so they have the whole day together out and about? Or bring him in this evening maybe into a dog crate in the secure run(?) And let them all out in the am?

Whatever time of day is most convenient for you.

I would probably just turn him loose and watch for a bit, in hopes that it will work out. But if they really pick on him, then rescue him from the nasty hens and put him in the dog crate for a few days or even weeks, depending on what it takes for him to be able to join without injury. A few pecks and some chasing won't hurt him, but you don't want him losing a lot of blood or starving because they always chase him away from the feeder.

Whatever time of day is most convenient for you.

I would probably just turn him loose and watch for a bit, in hopes that it will work out. But if they really pick on him, then rescue him from the nasty hens and put him in the dog crate for a few days or even weeks, depending on what it takes for him to be able to join without injury. A few pecks and some chasing won't hurt him, but you don't want him losing a lot of blood or starving because they always chase him away from the feeder.

My older girls definitely make their presence known to the babiesšŸ˜† it wasn't terrible when we introduced them no one lost any blood. They're just now able to get up on the roosting bars at night. We definitely have separate flocks together lol. But they're definitely in control.

Definitely keep him separate for possibly a while...I rehomed a cockerel who was the same size as the flock of hens he was joining, but they were mature and he was crowing but not mature. They seemed fine for a few weeks, but then the girls killed him.

Definitely keep him separate for possibly a while...I rehomed a cockerel who was the same size as the flock of hens he was joining, but they were mature and he was crowing but not mature. They seemed fine for a few weeks, but then the girls killed him.
I have noticed my older girls rule the roost. I'm trying to figure a way to integrate him with the younger girls first I think. They all live and range together but for the most part they're "separate" flocks.

Thinking I'll keep him in the run while the girls range through the day and crate him at night. Slowly bring him around the younger girls supervised more and more.

Not quite sure. Trying to roll with the punches... want the least stress as possible...

šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø for the loves of birds šŸ¤£

want the least stress as possible...
Yeah, right! :gig So you got all these!
I have a flock of 32..
- 26 chickens
-- (13) laying - 5 months old (barred rock, white leghorn, red sexlinks)
-- (13) 3 months old all hens (silver laced wyandotte, ameraucanas, black australorp)

- 6 ducks all female
-- 1 laying - 5 month pekin
-- 5 - 3 month old

I'd leave him in the crate for at least a few days.
He's a baby and not going to go in and take over, he'll get his butt kicked.
Well I don't want that to happen! Maybe I can put him on the secure run and not let the girls in... and crate him at night in the run? I'd feel terrible having him locked up all day...

Back
Top Bottom