Introducing a young rooster to a flock

I've got a 12 ounce rooster.
He cooped with his parents until he was over 4 months old.
I put him in with some 3 month old birds and he gets to be 'the big guy' now.

I've been 'lurking' here for almost a year and decided to sign up and introduce myself....

We purchased 4 baby chicks almost a year ago and they are BIG reds and they have laid lots eggs since....

Well, we went to a Swap Meet and I seen this full grown tiny tiny Rooster and I'm trying to get my 4 girls to liking him, I've done the part of not putting them together for the 30 day quarantine and I had just put him in his own pen close to the girls 3 days ago....they are like 'what is that'? Look on their faces....today, I let him in with them and they literally want to kill him....I have a long stick with me, so when they get close I just raise it up and they back off from getting close to him....two of the hens tried this several times before going into the run and laying down....one hen laid out alone and he came close to her and did a little 'dance' then she stood up....oh my goodness, does he even stand a chance? Cause when she stood up beside him she is probably 3 times as big as him, well they all are but she is my biggest one....

My avatar picture is of him, he's Beautiful but very small....

What is your opinion in this????

Thank You ,
Carlena

I've been 'lurking' here for almost a year and decided to sign up and introduce myself....

We purchased 4 baby chicks almost a year ago and they are BIG reds and they have laid lots eggs since....

Well, we went to a Swap Meet and I seen this full grown tiny tiny Rooster and I'm trying to get my 4 girls to liking him, I've done the part of not putting them together for the 30 day quarantine and I had just put him in his own pen close to the girls 3 days ago....they are like 'what is that'? Look on their faces....today, I let him in with them and they literally want to kill him....I have a long stick with me, so when they get close I just raise it up and they back off from getting close to him....two of the hens tried this several times before going into the run and laying down....one hen laid out alone and he came close to her and did a little 'dance' then she stood up....oh my goodness, does he even stand a chance? Cause when she stood up beside him she is probably 3 times as big as him, well they all are but she is my biggest one....

My avatar picture is of him, he's Beautiful but very small....

What is your opinion in this????

Thank You ,
Carlena
He may win them over.....but I doubt he can 'reach' to actually fertilize them.

I'm really not looking at him for breeding purposes....he was just so dang Cute and his crow is hilarious, cause he gives it his 'all' like it comes from his toenails lol....

I also forgot to mention that the last 3 days he's been in his cage underneath the roosting part he 'sneaks' out and coops with them all night long....the first night I couldn't find him, and there he was half way in and half way out the coop, at first I thought it was a hen when I was closing the door but, it was him....so I nudged him in....next morning he was crowing in the coop, HE SURVIVED all I could think about....then last night same thing, only he was way in there....so tonight I sat on a bucket watching him....as the hens were heading up the shoot, he became very ansey and jumped up and squeezed out the wire and headed up the shoot just a talking away to the Girls....he went in and the last hen went in and I closed the door and told them all Goodnight....

I guess I just need to have more patience with them, as today I sat on a bucket in there for 2 hours praying they just get along....he is trying real hard but there are 2 very nasty hens that just think they own it all....I found out that feeding them during the time I spend in there makes them more aggressive....

Am I doing this correctly??

Thanks for listening to me 'ramble'
Carlena

I'm really not looking at him for breeding purposes....he was just so dang Cute and his crow is hilarious, cause he gives it his 'all' like it comes from his toenails lol....

I also forgot to mention that the last 3 days he's been in his cage underneath the roosting part he 'sneaks' out and coops with them all night long....the first night I couldn't find him, and there he was half way in and half way out the coop, at first I thought it was a hen when I was closing the door but, it was him....so I nudged him in....next morning he was crowing in the coop, HE SURVIVED all I could think about....then last night same thing, only he was way in there....so tonight I sat on a bucket watching him....as the hens were heading up the shoot, he became very ansey and jumped up and squeezed out the wire and headed up the shoot just a talking away to the Girls....he went in and the last hen went in and I closed the door and told them all Goodnight....

I guess I just need to have more patience with them, as today I sat on a bucket in there for 2 hours praying they just get along....he is trying real hard but there are 2 very nasty hens that just think they own it all....I found out that feeding them during the time I spend in there makes them more aggressive....

Am I doing this correctly??

Thanks for listening to me 'ramble'
Carlena
Yeah, it can take weeks....as long as he's getting to eat and drink, there's no copious amounts of blood drawn, and/or noone's getting pinned down/trapped and beaten upon...just let them work it out. Leave the cage maybe, in case he wants a respite..but if he stops using it take it out.

Back
Top Bottom