IntroducING babies to older pullet help plz

Tlco

Songster
Sep 5, 2016
Taylor, Tx

OK separated Matilda (5_6 weeks old) from babies. She has run of the house and under the house. Babies have the other side with a heat lamp. Could not use heating pad hen..wouldn't work.

1st is lamp too low. Got under it ad soon as I turned it on. Don't have thermometer on hand..just don't want to start fire our nights are starting to get cooler at night.

2nd will use cord board or blanket at night on side to block wind

3rd i used chicken wire to seperate them but babies seam to like to stick their head thru to tease Matilda any other suggestions

4th it's dark now and they are peeping..will they settle down? Or will I need to bring em in for night and put them out in morn and get used to it a little at a time

Tring to get better pictures

Last edited:

This is Matilda..a view from the henhouse into the area under house portion.

Last edited:
Update My babies made it thru the night although I can't say much for me..lol I didn't go to sleep till 3am then was up at first light to check on them.

Not sure why you have not tried an introduction yet?
Matilda is a Chick also...Usually no issues...Not like introducing more mature birds..
They might peck each other, but only looks bad to you..Pecking order needs to be established...

Cheers!

Yes I did try to introduce Matilda to the babies right after I got them. She was 5-6 weeks old they only 1 week maybe. She ran them into corners of hen house and started pecking them in the head. I understand pecking order and know that once together they will figure out top and bottom of order, I just think they are too little to get away from her. I am letting them interact thru the fencing right now and then this weekend small excursions together to see how they do.once I am sure sure all well be ok I will cut hole in the added chicken wire so if chicks need a safe place to get away they can "fit" thru to other side. The chicks right now poke their heads thru and she usually pecks em pretty hard.

Last edited:
I plan to purchase an addition to the tractor then in close it all with a fence so they can get out. Due to zone laws and where I am I can only have 3-4 hens. But u can only buy 6 at a time from most places so once I am sure what everyone is the tractor and small run attachment will be all they have

Back
Top Bottom