Introducing baby chicks to flock of 2

Zoologist

Chirping
Jun 7, 2022
A few weeks back I lost a hen to an unknown cause leaving me with only two hens left and so the very next day I went out and bought 4 new baby chicks. They stayed in their brooder for about 3 weeks before I moved them to a dog crate outside in the run where they have been for about 1 1/2. They’ve been put in the coop at night still in their cage and have also been aloud to free range with the other 2. Today I will leave the run shut and open the cage door to try an integrate the little ones in (with very close supervision so I can stop them if it goes to far)

I hope I’m doing this correctly. The older hens are docile breeds (Americana and Astrolorp both 8-9 months old) the baby chicks are white crested polish, Brahma (both 3-4 weeks old. Not sure the full type the Brahma is as they sold her as a Calico princess which I soon realized wasn’t true.) barred rock, and another Americana (5-6 weeks)

If you have any suggestions I’d love to hear them 😊

It sounds good. Just be sure the babes have cubbyholes to hide in. You have quite an age difference between the older hens and the babes, which can definitely cause troubles if the older hens become overly aggressive with the babes.

But you only have 2 older hens. So as long as you have lots of room and cubbyholes, hideyholes, and lots of water and food places, it probably will work.

Do be aware your babies shouldn't be on layer feed. It would be best to put everyone on flock raiser. The calcium would be too much for the babes.

LofMc

have also been aloud to free range with the other 2. Today I will leave the run shut and open the cage door to try an integrate the little ones in (with very close supervision so I can stop them if it goes to far)
Why do you want to lock them in the run if they have happily been free ranging outside? I don't know how big your run is but it sounds like it may be relatively small. I'm guessing the four littles stay away from the two bigs when they are out free ranging. That's the way it is supposed to go. How long have they been able to free range without issues? How do you get them back in their crate after they free range? I'm trying to get a feel as to where they are in their relationship and what is going on.

What are your goals for locking them in there together? What do you hope to achieve? There could be value in learning if you can lock them all on the run together. It could help you out in an emergency and you can't free range them. If it doesn't work we may be able to come up with suggestions on how to help it work, but it would help to know what you are working with. Sizes of any coops and runs and crates and maybe photos could be good information. The more room you have in the run the better. If needed you can improve the quality of the room you do have by adding clutter, things to break up line-of-sight and give them places to hide under, behind, or above.

Another big step will be getting them to all sleep in the coop at night and not in that cage. Again the mire room you have the better. I'm encouraged that you can get that crate in there. Some people don't have that much room.

Sometimes this stuff goes really easily. Sometimes not so much. I wish you good luck. It could be as easy as just locking them in there together.

Why do you want to lock them in the run if they have happily been free ranging outside? I don't know how big your run is but it sounds like it may be relatively small. I'm guessing the four littles stay away from the two bigs when they are out free ranging. That's the way it is supposed to go. How long have they been able to free range without issues? How do you get them back in their crate after they free range? I'm trying to get a feel as to where they are in their relationship and what is going on.

What are your goals for locking them in there together? What do you hope to achieve? There could be value in learning if you can lock them all on the run together. It could help you out in an emergency and you can't free range them. If it doesn't work we may be able to come up with suggestions on how to help it work, but it would help to know what you are working with. Sizes of any coops and runs and crates and maybe photos could be good information. The more room you have in the run the better. If needed you can improve the quality of the room you do have by adding clutter, things to break up line-of-sight and give them places to hide under, behind, or above.

Another big step will be getting them to all sleep in the coop at night and not in that cage. Again the mire room you have the better. I'm encouraged that you can get that crate in there. Some people don't have that much room.

Sometimes this stuff goes really easily. Sometimes not so much. I wish you good luck. It could be as easy as just locking them in there together.
I’m happy to answer your questions 😊 I live where you can’t free range all day due to law and we have neighbors and hawks constantly flying overhead. They spend almost all day in their run except for 2+ hours outside with supervision. The run and coop could hold more then 6 chickens comfortably with lots to do.

Ive been letting the little ones out for almost the whole time since getting them. They stay near me or next to the run and are fairly easy to catch or herd back in.

Yesterday I did just as I said and opened the crate door they now have access to the full run. The older ones will bite them and threaten them, but I see no problem with them working it out on their own as long as they don’t injure each other 😊 🐥

That's different than I imagined. If the older are pecking them when they invade the older ones' personal space it should not take long for the chicks to learn to stay away from them, provided they have enough room in that run to stay away. If you see an older one standing over a chick that's on the ground and pecking at that chick, especially at the head, that is a dangerous situation. An occasional peck that says "Stay away and leave me alone" is not a big deal.

If they don't have the room to stay away or one of the older ones seriously chase a young one, try locking that crate door open just enough that the chicks can get through but the older cannot. That gives the chicks a safe haven from danger but they can still go out if they want to. It can be a pretty effective method.

Just wanted to update my photos. Any criticism or help is appreciated

Attachments

• 09CEA22E-6BA0-4F01-8561-25F7D97B8571.jpeg
    09CEA22E-6BA0-4F01-8561-25F7D97B8571.jpeg
    655.4 KB · Views: 2
  • FF1D5B33-7E9A-468C-8CB3-F2E34FAAE731.jpeg
    FF1D5B33-7E9A-468C-8CB3-F2E34FAAE731.jpeg
    750.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 13CBE2AD-C41F-4FA9-AA3E-166D713A5B68.jpeg
    13CBE2AD-C41F-4FA9-AA3E-166D713A5B68.jpeg
    499.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 35BC604D-1419-42AB-968A-4A654574E323.jpeg