Introducing Bantam Polish to Larger Hen Flock

middlechick18

In the Brooder
Feb 16, 2015
I have 5 hens currently (I forget exactly how old but about 1.5 years old): a RIR, Black Austrolorp, and 3 Golden Comets, all of whom were raised together from a day old. A neighbor has a Bantam Polish that she offered to give us since she doesn't want to restart her flock until fall and the Bantam Polish (also 1.5 years old) is the only lonely chicken left. I would love to add to my flock, but I'm concerned about how adding a small chicken to an established flock of large chickens will play out, especially since bantam polish chickens can't see as well with their crown of feathers and the neighbor says this hen is passive, docile, and very sweet. How likely is my current flock to pick on this bantam, given that they are all bigger than she is and a more established flock? If I tried, what would the best method of introducing them and integrating her into the flock be?

You could use the see but don't touch method of introducing her to your flock. I've used this and it's worked well. Here is an article about it ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/introducing-new-chickens-using-the-see-but-don-t-touch-method

Your flock may or may not accept her. As you say their crests can attract a lot of unwanted attention from other birds. Also if she can't see very well due to the crest she could be an easy target for them. I would give it a whirl and see what happens with her but be prepared for having to take her out of the flock.

Good luck with the polish :fl

Back
Top Bottom