1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Introducing bantams to Orps

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by shaky, May 4, 2008.

1. shaky

shaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Austin
    My Orps are, or course, much larger than my young bantams, so I have given the bantams very little time out in the backyard. However, as long as they have room to roam, the orps don't bother the bantams so far.
    Trouble is, they need to share the coop soon.
    The bantams are quickly outgrowing their brooder, and are feathering up nicely.
    I've read that orps are calm and will accept smaller birds.
    How can I go about introducing them to one another without harassment from the larger hens?

2. farm_mom

farm_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    MI
    I've never raised bantams before, but I have a lot with BO's and I'd say they're about the sweetest birds ever. I also, have no experience integrating like this, but I'm hoping someone more experienced will read your post and help you out here. I have heard that many people integrate at night, in the dark, so the birds wake up together. I also have read that some give the smaller birds a place to go for cover if the big birds harass them (someplace the big birds cannot fit into. Other than that, you have to keep a real close eye on them in the beginning as they work it all out. Good Luck! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by