introducing breeders to each other...

mhwc56

Songster
9 Years
Aug 5, 2010
my house in maryland
When you are setting up a new breeder group of Coturnix what is the preferred/ safest way to introduce the birds to each other ? How do you know if you have a compatible group?
hu.gif

Trial and error
smile.png
Introduce the birds in short periods of time. I shove a new breeder group together and watch. If I see anyone that is being picked, that one is removed. Normally if you have a good ratio, they get a long pretty well.

Oh, so ya think I might have over done it with my 8 - 7 week olds in a 2x2 breeder cage.
Amazingly they are getting along fine.
Everyday I am taking one out and putting another one in.

I like to keep them quessing. By the time I make up my mind, they will be content to just be left alone. ( I am trying to find the other egg layer from the growout cage - 4 are laying and I want all 4 in the breeder pen no matter what size they are).

And I don't know what people are talking about. My girls just keep laying, when I move them. Don't tell them that other quail quit when moved around. They don't know they are supposed to do that, evidently and I would like that information kept from them.

Anyway, I also keep changing out males, really just to keep them quessing. They think I am a nut case, but I have my reasons. To keep them quessing and settled. The last Male will be their mate, after the extra females are out.

Oh, I wouldn't even think of doing this without a Kleenex dustbath in there. Sooths the nerves.

If I don't find that layer pretty soon I may have to invest in individual cages to identify my layers. I am not going to inspect 25 birds. Besides, doing it this way is much more fun.

One way that was suggested to me and it worked, was to get a new pen (temporary if needed) and put them all together in a totally new environment. Then they seem to get along and don't have any 'ground' to protect from another bird. I guess it really is determined by the number of birds you have, cage size, etc. Just my 2 cents ...............

ok, so in a pen that is 6ft. X 3ft. can i put 2 roos and 8 hens together? 1 roo is an experienced adult...about 1 yr. old , the other is a youngster...6 weeks old .

no one is currently in this pen . it is 5ft.L. andthen has a 1 ft.box with a separate door on it at one end.

Last edited:
Quote:
WAIT ANOTHER 2 WKS TIL JR IS FULL SIZED.... NEVER MIX DIFFERENT SIZED GAMEBIRDS= MUCH BAD JUJU HERE. ONCE FULL SIZE THEY ARENT NEARLY AS INVITING A TARGET FOR ABUSE AS THEY ARE IN JUVENILE SIZES.

YES THAT PEN WILL HOLD ALL THOSE BIRDS AND MORE WITH EASE.

Quote:
WAIT ANOTHER 2 WKS TIL JR IS FULL SIZED.... NEVER MIX DIFFERENT SIZED GAMEBIRDS= MUCH BAD JUJU HERE. ONCE FULL SIZE THEY ARENT NEARLY AS INVITING A TARGET FOR ABUSE AS THEY ARE IN JUVENILE SIZES.

YES THAT PEN WILL HOLD ALL THOSE BIRDS AND MORE WITH EASE.

.Everybody i need to put in there is 6 weeks except the 1 and i could substitute another roo who is 6 weeks for him....would that be okay?

Back
Top Bottom