1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

introducing breeders to each other...

Discussion in 'Quail' started by mhwc56, Oct 12, 2010.

1. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

When you are setting up a new breeder group of Coturnix what is the preferred/ safest way to introduce the birds to each other ? How do you know if you have a compatible group? [​IMG]

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Trial and error [​IMG] Introduce the birds in short periods of time. I shove a new breeder group together and watch. If I see anyone that is being picked, that one is removed. Normally if you have a good ratio, they get a long pretty well.

3. mhwc56

Got it, Thanks! [​IMG]

4. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Oh, so ya think I might have over done it with my 8 - 7 week olds in a 2x2 breeder cage.
    Amazingly they are getting along fine.
    Everyday I am taking one out and putting another one in.

I like to keep them quessing. By the time I make up my mind, they will be content to just be left alone. ( I am trying to find the other egg layer from the growout cage - 4 are laying and I want all 4 in the breeder pen no matter what size they are).

And I don't know what people are talking about. My girls just keep laying, when I move them. Don't tell them that other quail quit when moved around. They don't know they are supposed to do that, evidently and I would like that information kept from them.

Anyway, I also keep changing out males, really just to keep them quessing. They think I am a nut case, but I have my reasons. To keep them quessing and settled. The last Male will be their mate, after the extra females are out.

Oh, I wouldn't even think of doing this without a Kleenex dustbath in there. Sooths the nerves.

If I don't find that layer pretty soon I may have to invest in individual cages to identify my layers. I am not going to inspect 25 birds. Besides, doing it this way is much more fun.

5. mhwc56

Quote:your poor birds must be confused [​IMG] ...don't know if they're coming or going ...(literally!) lol

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  6. bigjohn

bigjohn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2008
    Georgia
    One way that was suggested to me and it worked, was to get a new pen (temporary if needed) and put them all together in a totally new environment. Then they seem to get along and don't have any 'ground' to protect from another bird. I guess it really is determined by the number of birds you have, cage size, etc. Just my 2 cents ...............

7. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:THIS IS THE IDEAL WAY TO INTRODUCE NEW MEMBERS TO AN EXISTING COVEY [​IMG]

8. mhwc56

ok, so in a pen that is 6ft. X 3ft. can i put 2 roos and 8 hens together? 1 roo is an experienced adult...about 1 yr. old , the other is a youngster...6 weeks old .

no one is currently in this pen . it is 5ft.L. andthen has a 1 ft.box with a separate door on it at one end.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  9. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:WAIT ANOTHER 2 WKS TIL JR IS FULL SIZED.... NEVER MIX DIFFERENT SIZED GAMEBIRDS= MUCH BAD JUJU HERE. ONCE FULL SIZE THEY ARENT NEARLY AS INVITING A TARGET FOR ABUSE AS THEY ARE IN JUVENILE SIZES.

YES THAT PEN WILL HOLD ALL THOSE BIRDS AND MORE WITH EASE.

10. mhwc56

Quote:WAIT ANOTHER 2 WKS TIL JR IS FULL SIZED.... NEVER MIX DIFFERENT SIZED GAMEBIRDS= MUCH BAD JUJU HERE. ONCE FULL SIZE THEY ARENT NEARLY AS INVITING A TARGET FOR ABUSE AS THEY ARE IN JUVENILE SIZES.

YES THAT PEN WILL HOLD ALL THOSE BIRDS AND MORE WITH EASE.

.Everybody i need to put in there is 6 weeks except the 1 and i could substitute another roo who is 6 weeks for him....would that be okay?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by