Introducing chickens to empty coop

How big is the coop? Does it have good ventilation?

It is often a good idea to keep them shut into just the coop for a few days, so they get used to being in there and form the habit of sleeping there. But some coops are too small, and some coops get too hot, so there are times when that is just not possible.

When you do let them into the run, check around dusk to see if they go to bed in the coop. If they do not, then put them in. Sometimes they have trouble learning how to get in (up ramps or around corners can confuse some), and other times they just think the run is a better place to sleep and need to learn otherwise.

thanks for the reply! It is a good sized coop, it used to be a shed but I converted half of it. The ventilation is good, a lot of air flows through the rafters due to the vents it has. I know its a big space for only two chickens, I plan on adding 6 more chicks in about 4 weeks when the weather warms up. The chickens I just put in today seem to be doing fine, they know where the food and water is and were flying up on the roosting bars. I was just curious as to how long to contain them to the coop, so thank you for answering that. One more question, since my coop is an old shed, it stays somewhat dark. Do you have a light in your coop?

thanks for the reply! It is a good sized coop, it used to be a shed but I converted half of it. The ventilation is good, a lot of air flows through the rafters due to the vents it has. I know its a big space for only two chickens, I plan on adding 6 more chicks in about 4 weeks when the weather warms up. The chickens I just put in today seem to be doing fine, they know where the food and water is and were flying up on the roosting bars. I was just curious as to how long to contain them to the coop, so thank you for answering that. One more question, since my coop is an old shed, it stays somewhat dark. Do you have a light in your coop?
With a nice big coop that is well ventilated, I would probably leave them in for at least 2 or 3 days and nights, before letting them out.

I have had chicken coops with lights and ones without. There needs to be enough light for the chickens to see in the daytime, so they can eat and drink and move around. The light can come from a light bulb, or through a glass window, or through an opening that is covered with hardware cloth to keep out predators. Any kind of ventilation usually lets in some light too.

Since you mention your chickens eating and drinking and flying up on the roosting bars, I think they can see well enough for now. Adding a light would be fine, but it's probably also fine the way it is.

How does confinement work if you’re planning to leave the food and water outside in the run? I’ve heard conflicting information on whether to have food and water in the coop or not. 🤔
You put food and water inside the coop during the confinement period, and move it out afterwards. If it's temporary it shouldn't cause any issues (if you're concerned with water in the coop for example).

Back
Top Bottom