Introducing Chicks at Various ages.

snowhorse

Pantry Brook Farm
10 Years
Jun 13, 2009
MA
I have 3 different age groups of chicks.

I have 10 that are in a main coop, with a heat lamp in case, as in my area it has been much colder than usual. There are 4 Barred Rock/Aracuana mix which are 6 weeks, and 3 Buff Orps, 2 Jersey Giants, and 1 Brown Leghorn that are just 5 weeks. All of which get along just fine.

I have another group which are between 3 weeks and 4 weeks. In a smaller rabbit type cage, mixed group, Light Brahama, Belgian D'Anvers, Porcelain D'Uccle, Golden Cochin, Moulted Houdan, Buff Laced Polish, and a Blue Andulsian.

Another group in a cardboard box, between 1 week and 2 weeks. 4 Ameracuana, 2 Appenzeller Spitzhauben, and a Golden Polish.

I have tried to let the group in the rabbit cage mix by letting the door open, and letting them mingle. The older group of birds comes in and dominates there cage, by eating their feed (which mind you is the same that they have in there pen) and drinking there water, as well as picking and pecking at them. Which just seems to stress them out. When one of the younger bird gets out of the cage the older birds really kind of gang up on them.

Any suggestions on if I should wait until they are little older to mix with the larger birds? Is there any good way to do this? or do they have to get there pecking order down and you just have to deal with this some what scary process. I was thinking in another week or two I would take them totally out of the rabbit cage and they would just have to deal with the older birds, so they dont end up cornered in the small cage and they have lots of room to get away and around.

I was going to wait until the youngest group was into the 3 to 4 week category to move them into the rabbit cage. And try the same thing over again.

But any ideas would be helpful!

I wait until mine are around 15/16 weeks and closer in size. When I put them together I first let them free range together with plenty of treats to hopefully get them to pay more attention to the treats than each other. There is still going to be some establishing of their pecking order. If I have any overly aggressive birds I separate them from the rest of the flock.

Hi. I read your post and thought I'd share as I have a similar situation. I have 8 two week old chicks (silkies, buff orpintons, & EE) and I have 11 three week old chicks (barred rocks, wynadottes, a red star, and a delaware). I have a 4x8 brooder that they live in, and up till recently have raised them separately in the same brooder with a cage wire divider. They will all be living in the same coop eventually, so the other day I did remove the divider and let them all together. The bigger chicks chased my babies, ate all their food, and monopolized their water. My babies were huddled in a little group scared out of thier wits. I was so upset, after realizing that the situation was not going to calm down, I separated the two groups again so my babies could eat, drink, and get some rest. Yesterday I had the idea to start by adding one older chick to the baby chick side of the brooder, one at a time. The big chicks and little chicks can still see each other, but are physically separated. I chose the lowest bird in the pecking order and added her first. She was good to the babies, so the next day I added another one. So far so good. The big birds added in with the baby birds are being nice, everyone is eating, drinking, and sleeping. I am going to keep going adding an older bird one at a time until they are all mixed. I don't know if this is how I am supposed to do it, as this is my first time raising chicks and I am new to all of this. Just wanted to share. If you found something different that worked for you, please share with me. I could use all the advice I can get. Thanks!
smile.png

Last edited:
:)My brooder isn't nearly as big as yours. The only thing I could do would be to actually split my coop in half. Which theoretically I could do. So I might try and do that. I have a runt in the older group which constantly wants to go in the brooder with the younger birds, she loves being in there and doesn't pick on anyone, so I know I have no problem with her, its just a couple of the older barred rock mix birds, and Buff Orps that I'm having issues with them being a little aggressive. The Jersey giants don't seem to care much at all.

I got the mild aged group and the younger group together, so they all get along, I only seperated them because I know they needed to be a little warmer, and they looked like they were constantly being woken up and walked over, so I wanted them to stay healthy. So I don't think I will have any problem with them going back with the mild aged, just again have to worry about the older birds at that point.

I looked a couple other places for info, some was the same as the previous post about getting them all about the same size, I have had someone else tell me to just put them all in together and they will figure it out. I guess its really whatever works with the birds that you have. Im just looking for safe alternative. Thanks for your info.

Im going to try some different things, and I will keep you posted!
smile.png

I was just over checking on them, and it dawned on me. If they dont have the extra food and water they really have nothing to bicker about. Im thinking I will put a lower waterer in the bigger side of the coop ( I having hanging one for the older birds) and just take away the waterer and feeder in the brooder.

Let you know how that works, Im going to try it tonight.

I lost one of my chickys.. My Belgian D'Anvers. I think she got too stressed with the older hens.

Im going to wait I think until they are all about the same size or closer atleast. I really didnt think they were that far apart in age to make that big of difference.

One of my Barred Rock mix, seems to be the most aggressive. I let the seven of them out together and she just goes after the lot of them constantly for no reason. I dont know if this will ever change or if I should find missy a new home because she wont change, the other one in the older age category dont seem to mind the younger ones as much. I have a feeling she was the one that went after the little one until she couldnt take it anymore.

sad.png
I'm so sorry to hear that you lost one of your baby chicks. It is not an easy thing, this mixing of different ages. I wish you much luck! I will be watching mine very closely as well. All of mine will be going out to the same coop in another 3- 4 weeks, so I have no choice but to mix them. If there are birds that are just mean (I really hope there aren't) I will have to find a new home for them. I am going to continue gradually placing an older bird in with my babies. I'm up to 4 older birds in with the baby chicks now, the older ones looks like they'd rather be with their original flock,yet are leaving the babies alone. Although, I have another 7 birds to integrate yet. One a day, I guess is what I'm trying. Again, so sorry you lost a chick. I hope things work out mixing your flock. Keep me posted!

I worry about sickness, and thought maybe she was sick, but really I check on them all twice today and she never showed any signs, of being sluggish, or not eating or drinking. Normal behavior I think it was just stress, by my third trip to the coop.

Thanks for you sympathy. This has kind of been like my new support group of my new obession haha, as really none of my friends understand, my boyfriend has been mighty supportive, even going to a chicken swap with me haha.. good guy.

I really am having a hard time with this whole integration thing. I really dont have lot of options on keeping them seperated for 16 weeks. I realized that put me into October, and they have to go out in the same coop before then, I just dont have the space.

So I might do what you are doing. Cut the coop in half for now, and place one older bird a day and see how it goes. I am thinking I may have to get rid of that one Barred Rock mix, I have alot of onesies and dont want to lose anymore. Of course I will have to do it all over again with the youngest group....wheew, what did I get myself into?
he.gif
However the youngest group and the middle group were in together at one point, im hoping they will integrate more smoothly, but I guess I will see.. Keep me posted on your end, and let me know if it all goes smoothly.

After the loss, I think I will keep them in the smaller cage for another week, and try again next week. Im so scared to lose another!
sad.png

Yes, I have found the BYC forum to be a great resource for me as well. Most people I know don't get the chicken thing. I don't know why, I just love the chicken thing!!! My family has been supportive, especially my husband, although it's not his kind of thing. It is nice to know there other people out there who have an interest in chickens, like me. I have often wondered myself what I have gotten myself into as I try to mix my two groups of chicks. But I'm going to stay postive and expect it to work out okay. I am looking forward though to when both groups are one flock and are getting along well. One positive point is that I have been spending a lot of time getting to know each bird, watching them to see how they interact with each other. I also plan to use cmom's advice in giving them a treat to distract them, and separating any aggressive birds. I'll keep you posted as I go along. I plan to add another older bird today, and see how it goes. Good luck and trust your instincts, it will all work out okay, hopefully!
big_smile.png

I'm going to suggest you check out this site. It has a lot of good information on integrating flocks amd may give you some more ideas. I think you are heading in the right direction.

Buff Hooligan’s Adding to your flock
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-adding-to-your-flock

You can always expect some pecking and bullying when you add to a flock. The chickens have to establish their pecking order so they know where they fit in with the flock. And it will change as they reach maturity. Sometimes it is not too bad and sometimes it is very violent and brutal. I am sorry for your loss.

Something different from pecking order, although they can be related, is that chickens can be bullies and will kill what they perceive as a weak flock member. Sometimes that weakness can be a difference in age. In either case, I think the personality of the individual chickens has a lot to do with it. Cmom is probably on the right track by paying extra attention to the aggressor as much or more than the victim.

Back
Top Bottom