Introducing Chicks at Various ages.

Ok, I checked out Buff Hooligan’s Adding to your flock
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/vie … your-flock

This seems to be the part that would apply to me:

"Introducing very young chicks to other young chicks (during the brooder stage):

Here’s a method used by BYC Member "Davaroo" with some degree of success (paraphrased):

"Keep them apart until nightfall. When the group of chicks in the brooder are all settled down, slip the new chicks in as quietly as possible. In the morning, turn on all the lights and make a big commotion. Fill the feeders and waterers with a big, messy fuss. Your little peepers will be so worried about the commotion you’re making and getting to the freshly placed food, that they will forget to fight very much (at least not more than usual). Being flock birds, chickens flee danger together, and they feed together for the same reasons. These activities are "bonding" for them."

I had tried this, just not at nightfall, so I may use this as my last resort to speed up the process. I tried adding a fifth older chick this morning, and she paced the divider very nervously, the babies must have felt her fright and they all huddled in a ball. I felt bad and put the older one back with the older birds. Once I did, all went back to normal. I may try a different bird later today, or maybe I will try this method above. Not sure yet? Either way, I hate stressing them out. Can't wait till this part is over!!!

I have looked through that part of there site and it was somewhat helpful.

But my ages are kind of different than what everyone has down, so I have a feeling I will be experimenting.

The baby babies, will end up being introduced when the older ones are closer to adults. So the website will more apply to them eventually.

What I am thinking of doing, is cutting the coop in half. Slowly introducing a single older pullet with the middle group. Once I have them seperated from the pullets I think are more agressive, put the babies in on that side in the larger brooder when they are old enough. Introduce them to that group slowly as well. Then I will have a flock that gets along, and the more agressive pullets which will only be like 2 or 3 of them will be outnumbered by the new flock, making it difficult for them to gang up on anyone. (Im hoping!)

And I have a friend lined up to take the overly agressive pullet which I have a feeling did my poor Belgian D'Anvers in.

Once the outdoor run is up and going, letting the new flock out with the few older birds left, and that way they will have plently of (supervised) room to sort things out.

I will keep you posted. Thanks for all your help on everything!

newchicky 57, I hope I'm not getting annoying with all my replies to this topic, but I just wanted to give a quick update. I added another older bird to my baby chicks (I'm up to 5 big birds with the chicks) last night just as they were settling down to go to sleep. I watched a while and things were okay, I checked back an hour later, they were all cuddled together sleeping. I am absolutely convinced this is the way to go. My birds are only a week apart in age, but there is quite a difference in size. Anyways, today they are interacting normally, all are eating, drinking, and playing together as chickens do. It's amazing! So much better than the terror of putting them all together and watching the babies run for thier lives! It may work for some, but this way is working better for me. I plan to add another older bird again tonight. Only 6 more birds to go! Anyways, good luck and take care!

Not sick of it at all!

Im glad it is working out so well. I'm thinking this maybe the best option for me too. So I am going to start the cutting in half process tonight, and start with the middle birds, however the one pullet that is agressive I may have to still give up, so I will put her in last after I try your process and she if she shapes up. If not shape up or shape out I guess.

Good luck with your remainding birds, and feel free to keep me posted
smile.png

Another successful integration! I think the key is to do it at night, then they settle down and go to sleep. There is no bullying at all that I have seen, and I try to keep a close eye on it. Of course the new older bird is out of her element and a little anxious but after a day or less, she has totally become part of the flock with no major squabbles. The remaining five older birds are actually looking a little lonely. The chicks are each side of the divider are laying next to each other, like they all want to be together. I really think this is going to work. It's also like I get to chose the pecking order, I can give the smaller shyer birds the upper hand by putting them in first, saving the bigger bullyer-type birds for last. It's cool! And noone is getting picked on! I just hope I'm not missing something.

Im liking your method more and more. Im going to Home Depot tomorrow and getting some wire to split the coop
smile.png

Last night I added my silver laced wynadotte, and it went ok. (Four birds left now). She did peck at my three baby silkies a few times each, but then she left them alone. They did settle down to sleep together, and the baby silkies seem unaffected by the new addition now. I was surprised though, I thought chickens slept at night, I had come downstairs last night around midnight and heard all this commotion. (My birds are temporarily in my basement). I rushed down to see what was going on, worried that the new bird might be causing trouble. It was like I crashing a chicken party, they were all just running around playing!
lol.png
Noone was picking on anyone that I could see. It was wierd! I just assumed that they slept all night! Anyways, I also wanted to add, that I have been increasing the brooding space a little as I have added more birds, making the other side smaller with fewer older birds, just so there was enough room for all of them. I just have a cage wire divider that I move over. I will eventually take it out after I mix all the chicks. Oh well, four more chicks to go! We'll see, they are my biggest and bossiest! Hope for the best!

:frowThank You to Renden Roo, Buff Hooligans and all of you knowledgable chicken lovers. I am learning so much from you and everyone. I love my chickens and want to do the best for them and with your help i get better each day. BYC IS WONDERFUL AND SO ARE ITS MEMBERS
love.gif
clap.gif

I'm glad its going so well for you. I spent the time last night to make a divider. So now that I have that in and they spent the night in there new living space, I will start the process tonight
smile.png
Wish me luck!

I have four hens that are one year old and have four babies arriving tomorrow.
smile.png

How do I eventually introduce these other fours little girls to the others?

How old?

Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom