Introducing Chicks at Various ages.

I have four hens that are one year old and have four babies arriving tomorrow.
smile.png

How do I eventually introduce these other fours little girls to the others?

How old?

Any ideas?

Quote:
I would say this link is the best bet for your situation:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/vie … your-flock

its very detailed and I found it helpful. Especially where you have such a big age difference.

luvmychickies and I have worked on something over the course of this thread that you can check out if that works better for you. We dont have a choice on keeping them separated for the full 16 weeks.

Mine are alot younger that yours that I am trying to integrate, I would be careful! I lost a chicky trying to integrate to quickly, so follow I would follow all the advice you can get!

Jennym, definately check out that website, it has some good information on mixing flocks.

newchicky57, how is it going on integrating your flocks? Hope well!!!

I wanted to let you know that last night, I was feeling sorry for the three older chicks left on the other side of the divider, as they were looking like they were lonely and feeling left out. I moved all three into the baby chick section. One at a time, checking to make sure it was going okay as I moved each bird. It seemed like they just fit right in. Luckily there was no bullying. They were probably happy to be part of the flock that they have been watching have so much fun all this time! Then after it looked everyone was getting along, I carefully removed the divider to give the flock the full space of the whole brooder. It worked out really well. I guess I also did that because I was worried about there being enough waterers, and feeders, and didn't want to buy more. I have two waterers, and two large feeder for all 19 chicks, which seems to be adequate. Now there is plenty to go around, now that all chicks have access to each one. Anyways, it worked out okay!! Pretty good actually. Just wanted to share. I really hope that you have much success in mixing your chicks! Keep me posted!

Thank you cmom for sharing your story and for your help!
smile.png
I also just wanted to say that earlier I may have given the illusion that all my chicks were friends now, but I have noticed that there are one or two bullies. I have a separate area set up to remove them if they keep picking on the babies, but for now I'll just see how it goes.

Well I though my divider was high enough for them not to get over it. Its 4 feet tall. But apparently I have a very athletic Brown Leghorn. She got right over the fence when I tried to put her over with the younger flock, lol. So that didn't work. So today I tried one of my heavier birds, or I should say tonight, I guess I will see in the morning, but from what I saw tonight she had no interest in pecking any of the little ones. So we shall see what happens, Ill try another one tomorrow night, and go from there.

On another note, I have had terrible trouble with sparrows getting into my coop and getting into there food. So I was a little side tracked tonight putting chicken wire up on the windows so they can't get in, little twerps!

I'll keep you updated on how it goes from there!

Thanks cmom for the advise!

Thanks for the web sites on managing flocks.
smile.png

I also hear to put vinegar on all their backs. This way they all smell alike. Is this true?

Quote:
I have seen that in other threads. Not sure if it works, and personally I have not tried it. Would love to know if anyone has had success with that?

So my integration process has somewhat come to a halt.
barnie.gif
I have a chicky thats not looking great, we had a drastic weather change, and Im not sure if it was that or a touch of cocci.

So I am treating my flock with Sulmet for a few days until hopefully my little pullet is not looking so dreary
sad.png
and continue the process when she does.

Wish me luck!
fl.gif
and Ill post soon.

Back
Top Bottom