Introducing chicks to flock questions

Lothar1974

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2020
Hello, hope I have this in the right area. We have two 11-12 week old chicks who we have been introducing to our 5 chicken flock. We did it gradually so far with a separate dog kennel in the run with the other chickens. We also let them mingle some times. The older chicks chase them a little and give them a peck but nothing serious. Today is the first day in the run free with the older chickens, so far no issues I have heard. Do you think they will be good to leave out at night too in the coop? The other question is that winter hit before we could acclimate them better. It's 32 F out right now. Chicks are in the coop and seem to be maybe a little chilled but it's hard to tell. They haven't been out all day yet and it had been 50 out. Do you think they will be ok? Not gonna get any warmer any time soon. I did insulate the coop with double reflective insulation as well as any bales around the coop and the 10x10 attached predator proof run with roof is double wrapped in 4mil clear plastic to keep out the snow and wind. Do you think the chicks will be ok? Thank you!!

at 11 to 12 weeks they will be perfectly warm outside, especially in a coop. as early as 7 weeks would have been fine in this weather. i would add them to the roost when the flock goes to bed to avoid any aggression.

at 11 to 12 weeks they will be perfectly warm outside, especially in a coop. as early as 7 weeks would have been fine in this weather. i would add them to the roost when the flock goes to bed to avoid any aggression.

Thanks for the info, they are shivering a little so worries me. Will put them on the roost tonight with the others.

If your run is predator proof I would also consider leaving the pop door open for a few nights, in case the chicks need to run for it first thing in the morning. I usually do 3 or 4 days, and if everyone seems to be fine, then go back to closing up the door.

Back
Top Bottom