Introducing chicks to grown flock

debb7898

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 17, 2012
KANSAS
Okay, here it is, almost 10 months later, I love all my chickens, however I was very upset to loose 2 of them by family dogs., which will not happen again, one happened about 3 months after I got the 12 to begin with, then one last week by my daughters dad's dog....Yes I cried and bawled....so Im down to 10....They are spoiled rotten, but all so loving....I have 2 goldens, that love but again they were chicks when they started out....
Here is my question.....How do I introduce new chicks to my flock....any suggestions....Will they all be okay together or do I need to separate them till they are a certain age...
This is my business, so really need to do this right...I just put a heat lamp and light to extend the hours of daylight, and wished I had done it earlier....however being on disability is a problem when things takes prioirty.... Thanks Everyone, and Blessings to you all. <3

You're gonna want to wait until the little ones are the size as your older flock. And still there will be a struggle for a pecking order.

Thankyou very much, this is part of my business as Im on disability, and have had to turn ppl away cuz of no eggs....I figured I would have to keep them separate, we have a coop, the girls free range, however we do have room to fix a part of the barn up for the 2nd flock....so when they are grown I guess they will be a problem to integrate, cuz the ones we have, are all so loving, but they do take treat time seriously lol and a couple of them will come right in the house if you open the door, they get along very well with the kids, and Sheba and Sampson. anyway I will just plan on keeping them separated. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom