Introducing chicks to grown flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by debb7898, Oct 29, 2012.

1. debb7898

debb7898 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2012
    KANSAS
    Okay, here it is, almost 10 months later, I love all my chickens, however I was very upset to loose 2 of them by family dogs., which will not happen again, one happened about 3 months after I got the 12 to begin with, then one last week by my daughters dad's dog....Yes I cried and bawled....so Im down to 10....They are spoiled rotten, but all so loving....I have 2 goldens, that love but again they were chicks when they started out....
    Here is my question.....How do I introduce new chicks to my flock....any suggestions....Will they all be okay together or do I need to separate them till they are a certain age...
    This is my business, so really need to do this right...I just put a heat lamp and light to extend the hours of daylight, and wished I had done it earlier....however being on disability is a problem when things takes prioirty.... Thanks Everyone, and Blessings to you all. <3

2. kreagerm

kreagerm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2012
    You're gonna want to wait until the little ones are the size as your older flock. And still there will be a struggle for a pecking order.

3. debb7898

debb7898 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2012
    KANSAS
    Thankyou very much, this is part of my business as Im on disability, and have had to turn ppl away cuz of no eggs....I figured I would have to keep them separate, we have a coop, the girls free range, however we do have room to fix a part of the barn up for the 2nd flock....so when they are grown I guess they will be a problem to integrate, cuz the ones we have, are all so loving, but they do take treat time seriously lol and a couple of them will come right in the house if you open the door, they get along very well with the kids, and Sheba and Sampson. anyway I will just plan on keeping them separated. Thanks again.

4. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by