Introducing chicks to our dogs :)

Also I have a mini Aussie that killed a wild quail in my front yard, but, after careful introduction with my latest chicks, he is completely fine around the chickens off-leash. Good luck, sounds like you have a great plan.

If you have time, work on leave it command. You can google “leave it command for dogs” and you’ll get some methods and it’s a super invaluable tool. I think the quail would thank me now. ;)

I am getting a pug/French bulldog, do you think that breed will be ok with the chickens or should i reconsider the breed I am getting. She is as puppy so I could teach her while she is young. Sorry to but in, but my thread got no replies

I am getting a pug/French bulldog, do you think that breed will be ok with the chickens or should i reconsider the breed I am getting. She is as puppy so I could teach her while she is young. Sorry to but in, but my thread got no replies
I think it has more to do with individual temperament and training than breed.
Look for a puppy that seems to be interested in you and pleasing you instead of the typical hyper rambunctious puppy most people seem to like.

The breed sounds fine. The training comes from you. All dogs should know come, sit, stay, off, up, stop, no, break-meaning go, leave it, drop it. They should be taught to trade toys when you say trade to remove territorial behavior. They should know how to loose leash walk without pulling. They should look to you for direction. Teach look as well meaning point to your eye to show look to pay attention for command. If dog not looking at you, dog is not listening. After looking give new command. You should also train your dog to avoid food temptations on leash by calling dog away from food on floor by keeping the food just out of reach. Call your dog and treat the dog when it returns to you. That teaches the dog self control. Don’t use the dogs food bowl as the bait. The dog learns they are only allowed things when you give permission. Use treats with praise in beginning and slowly wean off treats using just praise. To learn a command 10 repetitions once or twice a day will commit it to the dog’s memory. Training takes about 4-5 weeks.

Just be aware of the potential health issues your dog may have, especially respiratory conditions. My sister has a French Bulldog and he's had to have expensive surgery to shorten his soft palate. The poor thing can breathe properly now. Pugs are prone to many of the same conditions due to their flat faces.
https://blog.pawedin.com/dogs/17-french-bulldog-health-issues/

That said he's good and calm with other animals (and kids) now that he's matured (puppies will be puppies). One of our cats did have to put him in his place when he was young because he kept rushing up to her to play. She tried moving to the other end of the house to get some peace but he found her - then promptly got chased down the hallway by a hissing, snarling white kitty who'd really had enough of rude puppies disturbing her sleep. After that he avoided her like the plague. :lol:

Also I have a mini Aussie that killed a wild quail in my front yard, but, after careful introduction with my latest chicks, he is completely fine around the chickens off-leash. Good luck, sounds like you have a great plan.

If you have time, work on leave it command. You can google “leave it command for dogs” and you’ll get some methods and it’s a super invaluable tool. I think the quail would thank me now. ;)
@jolenesdad Thanks! They know the command but it's iffy sometimes - usually with the lab when he eats grass clumps. It's like a vice.
Usually "gentle" works with him as long as I can get his focus. :)

@jolenesdad Thanks! They know the command but it's iffy sometimes - usually with the lab when he eats grass clumps. It's like a vice.
Usually "gentle" works with him as long as I can get his focus. :)

The breed sounds fine. The training comes from you. All dogs should know come, sit, stay, off, up, stop, no, break-meaning go, leave it, drop it. They should be taught to trade toys when you say trade to remove territorial behavior. They should know how to loose leash walk without pulling. They should look to you for direction. Teach look as well meaning point to your eye to show look to pay attention for command. If dog not looking at you, dog is not listening. After looking give new command. You should also train your dog to avoid food temptations on leash by calling dog away from food on floor by keeping the food just out of reach. Call your dog and treat the dog when it returns to you. That teaches the dog self control. Don’t use the dogs food bowl as the bait. The dog learns they are only allowed things when you give permission. Use treats with praise in beginning and slowly wean off treats using just praise. To learn a command 10 repetitions once or twice a day will commit it to the dog’s memory. Training takes about 4-5 weeks.
"Look" is my #1 go-to when I need them to focus on me! If the head tilts, I know it worked lol.

20181007_165313.jpg

Back
Top Bottom