Introducing chicks to our dogs :)

Pics

HedwigsMum

Chirping
Oct 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
Hi :)

I'm not at all concerned about our dogs harming the chicks; they are very manageable, although they do get pretty rambunctious when they're excited.

My real worry is the chicks dying from fear. In the literature that came home from the school, it says not to expose them to dogs, because even a docile pet can frighten them enough to kill them.

I do know people whose dogs are around their chickens without any issues, but now my daughter is absolutely terrified about this. I promised her we will hold off on introductions for a bit, but I'm not sure waiting very long would be beneficial. I guess my way of thinking is if the dogs are "part of the landscape", they're less likely to cause problems.

We are fortunate that our chicks have their own room (spare bedroom) in an in-law suite - with two doors and a couple of rooms separating them from the "main house". It is now referred to as "the chick's room". Lol.
We haven't let the dogs in the in-law suite since bringing the babies home.

I appreciate any insight anyone can offer!

Seeing the dogs all the time will help the birds to get used to them.
But sudden movements and excitement, even from humans, will frighten them.
They won’t die from that though.
If that were true mine would’ve died a long time ago lol.
It’s constant chasing, stalking, playing that causes extreme reactions.
My friends dog doesn’t intentionally kill chickens but occasionally a bird would get over the 6’ dog run and the dog would play with it to death.
Dogs often want to play and they don’t understand that chickens don’t enjoy it and are frightened and also become exhausted from being chased back and forth.
And that will kill them without the dog biting them.
Some dogs just never learn to be calm around them even if it’s not their prey drive being triggered.
My friends dog doesn’t intentionally kill chickens but occasionally a bird would get over the 6’ dog run and the dog would play with it to death.
Dogs often want to play and they don’t understand that chickens don’t enjoy it and are frightened and also become exhausted from being chased back and forth.
Some dogs just never learn to be calm around them even if it’s not their prey drive being triggered.
Thank you!

I'm not at all concerned about our dogs harming the chicks; they are very manageable, although they do get pretty rambunctious when they're excited.

My real worry is the chicks dying from fear. In the literature that came home from the school, it says not to expose them to dogs, because even a docile pet can frighten them enough to kill them.

I do know people whose dogs are around their chickens without any issues, but now my daughter is absolutely terrified about this. I promised her we will hold off on introductions for a bit, but I'm not sure waiting very long would be beneficial. I guess my way of thinking is if the dogs are "part of the landscape", they're less likely to cause problems.

We are fortunate that our chicks have their own room (spare bedroom) in an in-law suite - with two doors and a couple of rooms separating them from the "main house". It is now referred to as "the chick's room". Lol.

I meant to add that even after they're introduced, the dogs will always be leashed if the chickens are roaming.
I think what scared me was the potential fright from the mere sight of my guys.

I'm having problems replying to posts, so hopefully this works!

Thank you all for taking the time to reply so thoughtfully!
I love all the knowledge you're sharing and hearing about yours dogs, too!

I'm feeling much better after hearing from everyone. I think my daughter's fear and how anything bad happening would impact the kids and chicks made me a little less logical than I should've been. ;)

We crated the dogs this evening and brought the chicks in, in a small box - first situated across the room so the dogs could hear them peeping. I gradually moved them close enough that the boys could peer at them.
The hound was calm, quiet, curious and lab was whiny/talk-y.
The chicks just kept cuddling up and falling asleep lol. Cooper barked once and a couple of the babies just threw him a side-eye. Haha.
I kept telling them they were my good boys and they had more than a few pumpkin cookies while they were in there. ;)

We'll do it again tomorrow morning and then after they are tired out from our run, I'll take them to the chick's room on their leads so they can have a look - just not close enough to stick their nosy faces in the brooder.
Baby steps.

I'm so grateful for you all, and your willingness to help!

Neither of my guys has ever shown any prey drive, except when they tree neighbour's cats in our yard. Even then, I'm almost positive they want to play.
They are dog and people-selective but the fact that they leave the ducks alone is definitely a good sign. :)

No, if you have been handling your chicks, they won’t die from fear of the dog, but can get scared and injure themselves.

As with anything do it in stages. Arrange the brooder so they can see OUT and have your dog away from the brooder so they can see them before the dog is in their face. Do a couple distant interactions before doing anything closer. Keep them separate until the dog no longer has “aggressive” curiosity.

I would also suggest introducing them BEFORE the chicks can fly. Something darting past their face will activate all their instinct to retrieve.

Just for some cuteness. :) Nora thinks our chicks are her babies.
IMG_5768.JPG

I don’t have dogs that big or with birding instincts. I introduced my dog who is 10 lb. Papitese to the chicks in the brooder to teach her with barriers to watch, not talk, no touch. She was cute and really did not scare the chicks. Pretty soon I could count on her to watch my brooder to make sure they didn’t leave it while changing the waterers and feed. Since then she gets gated on deck if too curious and bothering them. If she gets too close my girls will chase off my dog or peck her. My dog is not left outside with the chicks without me with them so I can correct her if she follows too close. My dog does guard the flock and scare off wild animals. She has known my chicks since chicks one day old. I think I would not attempt if dogs do not first know basic commands and follow them even without the presence of the chicks. If they know basic commands and follow them reliably then I might try. When my dog was first out with them off leash, I brought leash with me just in case. I took treats as well. Now she is pretty reliable around my chickens. It takes patience and time to do it. If they show signs of chasing then would not have dogs loose around chicks. Chloe has always been around me when caring for them the exception is when I’m cleaning the coop because I can’t clean and watch at same time. Worst case here Chloe licks a hens feeder. She is very curious. You have to know how your dog will respond and their weaknesses. Chloe is now trained to leave feeders alone. Someone might think no big deal on feeders but chick waste could be everywhere for a hen. The risk to the dog is campylobacter and salmonella bacteria making them sick so they have to leave chicken supplies alone and chick poo. So be sure to give your dogs commands when around chickens so they know what to do. :)

A8000779-126E-4DA8-B47A-2D20262AF09E.jpeg B40E9814-3979-4C34-92BC-3FBA4425366E.jpeg 983BCA25-79C8-4BFA-A5D4-0C816B8AF338.jpeg
Chloe peaking into brooder watching. Chloe watching the flock once outside.
She is very protective of my girls. Has chased off deer, coon, and we think a possible snake once in the yard. She chases out squirrels and bunnies too. She is very good at sitting and watching. Chloe’s dad taught her to chase off wildlife at home before the chicks to spare the apple trees from the wildlife. She just chases them out of yard not hurting them. Introductions best sooner not later so they know how to behave. If worry about dogs reaction train on leash first when reliable try off leash. This way you have control.

20180813_171551.jpg
this is my red heeler "chief" he is only 5months old. I have birds on tie cords, i have mommas with biddies, and birds in pens. He checks on them all and one day will keep predators away. The breed is very loyal and as long as you introduce them slow they usually do fine.

Back
Top Bottom