Best Practice for intro new chicks (only been raising chickens for a year....)

Rockergirl

Chirping
Sep 14, 2022
I have/had 4 1 year old chickens. 1 austrolorp, 2 EE and 1 ISA Brown. The austolorp passed suddenly a couple of days ago. So now I have 3 (2 EE and 1 ISA (she is the head lady). I just ordered 3 blue ameracauna that will be here on 7/22 from Cackle - I only wanted 2 but smallest order is 3. What do I do to intro?

My current setup - small shed for their coop (bedroom), that has a pop door that always stays open to an "indoor run" that is built like fort knox (I would say 8X6 with full height to stand up and walk around) and then another pop door that stays locked until I open in the day to an outdoor run that has netting to block hawks, etc.

1. I intend to raise the new babies in our bathroom in a tote like I raised the others - until they get a certain size

From there, I don't know what - the chicks I raised last year, I moved to the garage once they got a certain size but not big enough to go outside - probably until they were 10 weeks or so (I really can't remember).

I read that you should wait until they are full size, at least 16 weeks to mix with current flock. If all chicks survive shipping, etc I will intro 3 babies to 3 adults.

I considered moving them out to the coop when they are past 30 day quarantine or maybe at about 5-6 weeks. But not sure how to do that....it would be easier on me, I wouldn't have to build something out in the garage for them to live in or deal with the mess. Initially the garage plan was what I planned and figured I would go back and forth with them in a dog crate to get play time and see the other chicks until time to fully integrate. But, like I said, I prefer to get them out sooner - plus, I will be going out of town for a long weekend in September and it would be better for my chicken sitter if they are all out....

I was going to see how to put a divider in their "indoor run" but my husband asked how am I suppose to get to them without a door, which he is right....that seems like a pretty major construction job. A dog crate is just way too small to live in for weeks.....Any suggestions. Also, if I do the divider I guess that means they sleep in the "indoor run" too, which is built very safe and predator proof, but still feels sketchy.....I guess it's okay.

Any thoughts? I'm sure I'm thinking way too much into this but I really want to do this right. The personalities of my 3 adult chicks...the 2 EE are sweethearts, one is the bottom bird that just minds her business, a bit of a loner and the other will not be bullied, stands her ground, but super sweet and does not bully. The one ISA brown, is sweet but stubborn but I've never had all out bullying....she has pecked at the bottom EE to get out of the way from eating until she is done, but not blood or no problems as long as you let her do what she wants.

Here is pics of the living space. We do plan on building something bigger and better next spring for both the coop and run.

Attachments

• Indoor coop.jpg
    Indoor coop.jpg
    692.5 KB · Views: 77
  • Full pic coop.jpg
    Full pic coop.jpg
    924.8 KB · Views: 10
Is the coop the blue building at the far left or the tiny 'coop' at the far right?

I like to brood chicks in the coop behind a temporary wire wall.
Much easier(after building the setup) than the 'wait until they are the same size' thing.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/integrating-new-birds-at-4-weeks-old.72603/

I considered moving them out to the coop when they are past 30 day quarantine or maybe at about 5-6 weeks.
If chicks are coming from a hatchery there should be no need for a biological quarantine.

I'm not sure where you read about waiting until they are 16 weeks to mix them, but that would be a very difficult way to handle integration.
The younger the chicks the easier it is to put them with the older hens. They may not hang around together until the 16 weeks, but they can certainly live together.
Chicks may need heat up until 6 weeks depending on weather and feathering. If you have a safe way to add heat to the coop you could or just raise them in a typical brooder, and then move them to the coop. It is helpful to have an area for the littles to go that the bigs can't. I place a fence with a raised bottom or a cage with only a cracked door. If that is not possible some clutter to hide behind can work too.
Feeding an all flock with oyster shells on the side can make feeding simpler than trying to feed them separately.

Is the coop the blue building at the far left or the tiny 'coop' at the far right?

Much easier(after building the setup) than the 'wait until they are the same size' thing.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/integrating-new-birds-at-4-weeks-old.72603/

If chicks are coming from a hatchery there should be no need for a biological quarantine.
the tiny red coop to the far right is just somewhere they play/hide. It was their original coop a year ago but quickly outgrew. It's not whole anymore, we used parts from it. The blue building to the far left is the coop, where they sleep at night. Are you thinking that maybe we keep the babies in the blue coop to the far left with a fence at the pop door to block them from going to the other spaces to separate them from the big ones? and then letting the adult chickens live in the middle run until the smaller get big enough to blend? That would mean the adult chickens wouldn't lose their sleeping quarters (which is the blue shed to the left). Which would work, I just don't know what they would think about it? It's very safe in the middle/"indoor" run for them to sleep though. Would your raise them inside for the 1st month to get them a little bigger first ? It's SUPER hot outside, we live in the SE (north carolina)

Until they reach laying age I keep mine separated by wire and a door in the run (look but don't touch) Chicks that are afraid of the hens are much happier when raised in a separate run.

I'm not sure where you read about waiting until they are 16 weeks to mix them, but that would be a very difficult way to handle integration.
The younger the chicks the easier it is to put them with the older hens. They may not hang around together until the 16 weeks, but they can certainly live together.
Chicks may need heat up until 6 weeks depending on weather and feathering. If you have a safe way to add heat to the coop you could or just raise them in a typical brooder, and then move them to the coop. It is helpful to have an area for the littles to go that the bigs can't. I place a fence with a raised bottom or a cage with only a cracked door. If that is not possible some clutter to hide behind can work too.
Feeding an all flock with oyster shells on the side can make feeding simpler than trying to feed them separately.
I do have a way to add heat outside if needed, but it is really hot already, we are in NC. I could add a fence but not high enough for the run, but maybe I could add some obstacles/hiding places. It's good to know it's okay to add them sooner.....I've read so many nightmares about putting them out before being the same size.....I've never really had a big bully problem though...my ladies are fairly gentle...the one shows who is boss, but not in a bad way, as long as you listen she'll leave alone

Until they reach laying age I keep mine separated by wire and a door in the run (look but don't touch) Chicks that are afraid of the hens are much happier when raised in a separate run.
I just don't know how to put a door in there, one that I can actually get to them and clean their space, etc...I can add some sort of wire deal, but wouldn't be pretty...I have a bunch of roosts for the big ones that they chill and play on....I can figure out something though, if it's best.....

but, not sure why I didn't think of this when typing my other reply...the blue coop to the left is also where their nest boxes are...so if I block that off, the adults couldn't lay.....

Yes, I think you're overthinking this. They don't need to be 16 weeks to integrate, they just need to be off the supplemental heat. I've found that about 7-9 weeks is ideal, but others have done it sooner.

Can you just move the little red coop into the indoor run, close the bottom part with wire, and fix some space inside for them to roost or even just huddle off the ground?

They'd have (1) 24/7 protection from weather and predators, (2) a see-don't-touch space where they'll be with the older hens all day but safe from them, (3) plenty of space for three up to about 8-ish weeks of age.

After a week or two of this living inside the hens' space, I'd open up several holes in the wire enclosing the bottom of that red coop, just big enough for the littles to get through, but too small for the hens to follow. And add a bunch of obstructions and obstacles in both run areas - turned over chairs, logs, stacks of blocks, planters, etc. Wood pallets are GREAT; I put them up on bricks or blocks to raise off the ground, and the littles can run underneath for safety.

Once they're integrated this way, you can remove the little red coop. But you'll have to teach them to roost in the blue coop. Not a big deal at all. Just pick them up and put them on a roost inside. After a few nights of this, they'll go in on their own.

but, not sure why I didn't think of this when typing my other reply...the blue coop to the left is also where their nest boxes are...so if I block that off, the adults couldn't lay.....
Well, it would depend on the layout of the coop and if you can block off part of it without inhibiting the function for the older birds. Coop looks rather small, but any way to fit a crate for the chicks into the coop?

Back
Top Bottom