Do I just eventually let them fight it out?

Rockergirl

Chirping
Sep 14, 2022
I have two flocks....one flock is about 1.5 years old (flock 1)and the other is 6 months old (flock 2). Each flock has 3 chickens. Flock 1 is two easter eggers and one ISA Brown - very sweet flock. Flock 2 is all blue ameracauna - another sweet but timid flock (rightfully so). Flock 2 has grown up to actually be a good bit bigger in size than Flock 1. Flock 1 will not let Flock 2 hang out. Two of Flock 1 will peck at them if they are in the same area and/or chase them out of their area. They got along at the very beginning. Then bullying started and then I split the two flocks up at the beginning of November (I had a lot of trips I had to take and couldn't be around to closely watch them). I'm trying to slowly mix them again and it just won't work....Flock 2 is scared to death (although much bigger), when they do try to go into the same area as Flock 1 they get chased/pecked out of there.

Here is the current set up (sort of, this is old pick). On the left, the blue shed is now a structure we built with full size windows and is bigger, this is the new "bedroom". The center part is the "indoor run" and the right side is the "outdoor run" with overhead netting. Temporarily, we added the blue shed to the right side of the "indoor run" attached with a pop door (it's sitting in the "outdoor run"). All of the areas are connected with openings that can open and close. Since beginning of Nov we have had Flock 2 locked into the left side "bedroom" - it's a full size doorway to the "inside run" separated with wide opening fencing. This way the flocks can fully see each other without getting to each other. Flock 1 hangs in the "indoor run" and sleeps in blue shed that we moved to the right side temporarily. During the day (if not raining), I let Flock 1 hang out in the "outside run" and Flock 2 moves into the "indoor run". It works but we want them altogether and we want to get rid of the blue shed that we temporarily moved to the right side. We want them all sleeping in the new build, which is nice and roomy (and warmer), we made it because we increased the flock. It's so unfair to flock 2 to keep them all cooped up (it's not a small space but they don't get the movement like the other girls). This week we decided we wanted to try and bring them together. When Flock 2 tried to walk into the indoor run maddy-bird (from Flock 1) pecked at Elsa (Flock 2). Also, Callie (Flock 1) won't let them in the outside run.....chases and pecks after them. Callie has a jealously problem though, she used to love me and now won't let me touch her since I brought in Flock 2. Anyway - any suggestions.....? I need them altogether.....do I just let them work it out? some pecking is okay? unless I see blood? I just don't know what else to do.......I also worry that Flock 1 is going to teach Flock 2 that it's okay to peck each other :-( Any suggestions? Is it heard of that flocks just can't be blended? Side note, not sure if this matters but we live in NC

1703953789726.png

I have two flocks....one flock is about 1.5 years old (flock 1)and the other is 6 months old (flock 2). Each flock has 3 chickens. Flock 1 is two easter eggers and one ISA Brown - very sweet flock. Flock 2 is all blue ameracauna - another sweet but timid flock (rightfully so). Flock 2 has grown up to actually be a good bit bigger in size than Flock 1. Flock 1 will not let Flock 2 hang out. Two of Flock 1 will peck at them if they are in the same area and/or chase them out of their area. They got along at the very beginning. Then bullying started and then I split the two flocks up at the beginning of November (I had a lot of trips I had to take and couldn't be around to closely watch them). I'm trying to slowly mix them again and it just won't work....Flock 2 is scared to death (although much bigger), when they do try to go into the same area as Flock 1 they get chased/pecked out of there.

Here is the current set up (sort of, this is old pick). On the left, the blue shed is now a structure we built with full size windows and is bigger, this is the new "bedroom". The center part is the "indoor run" and the right side is the "outdoor run" with overhead netting. Temporarily, we added the blue shed to the right side of the "indoor run" attached with a pop door (it's sitting in the "outdoor run"). All of the areas are connected with openings that can open and close. Since beginning of Nov we have had Flock 2 locked into the left side "bedroom" - it's a full size doorway to the "inside run" separated with wide opening fencing. This way the flocks can fully see each other without getting to each other. Flock 1 hangs in the "indoor run" and sleeps in blue shed that we moved to the right side temporarily. During the day (if not raining), I let Flock 1 hang out in the "outside run" and Flock 2 moves into the "indoor run". It works but we want them altogether and we want to get rid of the blue shed that we temporarily moved to the right side. We want them all sleeping in the new build, which is nice and roomy (and warmer), we made it because we increased the flock. It's so unfair to flock 2 to keep them all cooped up (it's not a small space but they don't get the movement like the other girls). This week we decided we wanted to try and bring them together. When Flock 2 tried to walk into the indoor run maddy-bird (from Flock 1) pecked at Elsa (Flock 2). Also, Callie (Flock 1) won't let them in the outside run.....chases and pecks after them. Callie has a jealously problem though, she used to love me and now won't let me touch her since I brought in Flock 2. Anyway - any suggestions.....? I need them altogether.....do I just let them work it out? some pecking is okay? unless I see blood? I just don't know what else to do.......I also worry that Flock 1 is going to teach Flock 2 that it's okay to peck each other :-( Any suggestions? Is it heard of that flocks just can't be blended? Side note, not sure if this matters but we live in NC

View attachment 3715210
Note - we do plan to expand the "outdoor run" as well as make it much nicer...but we can't finish until we can get the blue shed out that we temp moved over there for Flock 1 to sleep into while keeping separated.

Also - we introduced them when Flock 2 was about 6-7 weeks old. When they were babies we built a tiny little protected area in the "indoor run" (which is very predator proof, nothing is getting in). So they have been in the same proximity for most of Flock 2's life.....and at first when we intro'd there weren't really any problems - except Maddy-bird was protective around her food. Callie started molting and I think that is part of what turned her mean but she has been done molting for a little while now....

Last edited:
It will take a lot of time for them to be able to get used to each other. I put my chicks in a see but no touch situation at 5 weeks old. The hens didn’t fully accept them until 25 weeks old. There are still some pecking issues with each other but it has greatly calmed down. Pecking is normal and sometimes the aggressor will draw blood or pull feathers. Put out multiple feeders and add some clutter. Clutter can help break line of sight and stop fights. Your run is absolutely huge so the new chicks should be able to easily run away and get behind clutter. It took way longer for my chicks to be integrated with my flock than what most people say it would have.

Neither flock has enough room to survive in. Of course, you feed them so they can actually survive. But, I think Flock 1 may be protecting its territory, as would be their nature. You could put out plenty of food for Flock 1 and when they walk away from the food allow Flock 2 to approach. Flock 2 would be getting leftovers.

Just a thought.

My flock one had 4 chickens
And my second flock had 6 chickens(now down to 4)
The Black Australorp and Light Brahma accepted them right away. After 3 weeks of see no touch.
On the other hand my buff orpington and wyandotte just warmed up to the chicks and the chicks are 14 weeks old and they first met at around 5 weeks.
There is still lots of pecking order fighting going around as i had to rehome a cockerel that the orpington was closest to and now i have 2 more to rehome.

Repetition is important for this part. Let flock 2 out first for an hour, then let flock 1 out after that. Put your outdoor feed and water on opposite sides from each other in the yard. Get some large branches and semi pile them in the middle of the run.

This should help the situation.

Repetition is important for this part. Let flock 2 out first for an hour, then let flock 1 out after that. Put your outdoor feed and water on opposite sides from each other in the yard. Get some large branches and semi pile them in the middle of the run.

This should help the situation.
Interesting idea about letting flock 2 out first. The only difficult part to that is Flock 2 would have to walk through flock 1 in the middle (indoor run) run to let them out....I don't think flock 2 would do that.....but worth a shot

Neither flock has enough room to survive in. Of course, you feed them so they can actually survive. But, I think Flock 1 may be protecting its territory, as would be their nature. You could put out plenty of food for Flock 1 and when they walk away from the food allow Flock 2 to approach. Flock 2 would be getting leftovers.

Just a thought.
I think the space flock 1 is in, is okay, that is what they used to have before we added Flock 2 and built the new addition....it's Flock 2 that I worry about. They do have the recommended sqft per bird, but I would much rather them have more....that is why we are working on expanding everything...I just need to get this sorted out first before we can keep working on expansion. We do have several food and water bowls spread out. They part doesn't seem to be the issue. Flock 2 won't touch food if Fock 1 is eating. The problem is, Flock 1 doesn't want them in their space. Callie from Flock 1, will hunt flock 2 around the corner (hidden area) if they are in the outside run, just to make sure she pushes them out of the outdoor run

Each chicken will need, at a minimum, 4 square feet of coop space and 10 square feet of run space. So that is something that should be checked on.

Next, either buy or construct a 'see but don't touch' area for the three younger birds, and set it in the run. The younger ones will be afraid, but they will get used to it once they realize it's safe. Keep them like this for two or three weeks, or until they seem pretty comfortable with each other. The next step is to put them all together. You can set them all together at night on the roost bars in the coop, or you can introduce them in the day so you can supervise them

Pecking and chasing is normal when they're put together. It really helps to have roosts, branches, tires, etc. around the run so the younger ones can hide and escape. Also, a second feeding and watering station will help. I would not intervene unless there is serious injury to the birds. Treat any small bloody injuries with Blue Kote and a deterrent product like Hot Pick, and then put them back out, keeping an eye on the situation.

Good luck. It will take time and strong nerves, but things will smooth out eventually.

Back
Top Bottom