One hen pecking others

thecatspyjamas

Chirping
14 Years
Jun 9, 2009
I have 4 hens (2 buff orpingtons, 1 copper maran mix, 1 ameracauna/leghorn mix). They don't free range but have a big run with sand. A month or more ago one of the Orpingtons was being pecked and was bleeding, so I separated her. After that, I saw the copper maran pecking another one, then when she was separated, she pecked last one. I separated the injured one and the pecker ;) from the others. Since she's healed they're all together except the one. Because she ate one of her eggs, I changed the food in case it was a protein issue, but I've let her out twice and the first thing she does is peck one of them. I'm looking at blinders and I'll do it if that's what it takes, but I wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions. There is one feeder and one shared waterer, but once she can be back with the flock, I can put the ones she's using with them. She's separated by a screen, so they're able to see each other. I'm a little nervous to let it play out, but I'm looking for advice and suggestions. She and the ameraucana are the last ones added to the flock last fall and I've never had any issues until now.

What were you feeding and what are you feeding now?
How big in feet by feet is the run?
I was feeding Nature's Best Organic Egg Layer Pellets and switched to Kalmbach 17% layer pellets. That's what I usually give them, but didn't reorder in time and had to buy some from the store.

The run is 6'x12'.

How old are they? Sometimes what was enough space, is not enough space when the birds get full size.

I would try the peepers, or I would remove one bird, it might be that three birds work better in your set up. Some birds are a bit tolorant of overcrowding and other birds cannot bear it.

Mrs K

Is she eating the feathers or pecking as in being mean/driving the others off by attacking?

Are you feeding treats or extras?
I think she was probably eating feathers first, then began pecking. I didn't notice the feathers were gone until one was bleeding. It didn't look like the pecking had been going on long before I separated her. I can't tell what she was doing the last two times I let her out, but this time she went straight for the behind and it looked like she pecked her, but it was hard to tell. I rarely feed treats and if I do it's not much at all. For example, my husband might crack a pecan each occasionally, or I give them a handful of spinach between all four of them, but even that isn't a daily thing.

How old are they? Sometimes what was enough space, is not enough space when the birds get full size.

I would try the peepers, or I would remove one bird, it might be that three birds work better in your set up. Some birds are a bit tolorant of overcrowding and other birds cannot bear it.

Mrs K
I've always had 4, so I don't know if it's just that hen or what. I would try the peepers first. The ones I've had longer are about 3 and the 2 newer ones are less than a year.

Back
Top Bottom