Bullying questions?

Holey

In the Brooder
Sep 4, 2023
So my flock consists of 3 established isa brown hens 1 Easter egger rooster(2+ years). Also 2 Brahma hens 1 black Marin hen and a Brahma rooster(16 weeks). 6 chicks (6-8 weeks). My question is about the isa hens. They have become aggressive and territorial.(only the hens not the rooster) Is this normal? I want everyone to live in peace but they chase the others back into the coop and out of the run. If I take the 3 mature hens out of the mix everybody lives in peace. Any tips or tricks to curb the bullying? Do Brahmas and isa browns co-exist peacefully? Also there hasn’t been any real injury I just see them bullying everyone off of the food and the brahmas and Marin seem to stay in the coop more to avoid conflict.

A peaceful flock is much healthier flock. Even the birds that are not being bullied, are affected with that much tension in the flock. You need to do something, they won't just all get along.

Space is a key issue - you can increase space by building bigger (time consuming) or by removing birds. If I have the right count you have 12 birds + 2 roosters. You need at least a 140 foot run - so 14 feet by 10 feet? Or 20 ft by 7ft. You need a coop that should be 56 square feet - so 8 feet by 7 feet? Give us your measurements and some pictures.

As the chicks get bigger, flocks that were getting along, often times start to bicker and bully as space gets less.

With two roosters - ugh - I think your problems are going to get worse.

You could try pin less peepers on the wicked girls, need a lot of hideouts, and multiple feed stations, some that are hidden.

The big thing is you really NEED to change things, or it won't get better.

Mrs K

I agree with everyone's suggestions.

Having 2 roosters isn't too problematic if you can free range them or give them a larger space to occupy. This gives them running room if one gets provoked.

I have 3 roosters currently, 4 year old, 2 1/2 year old, and 1 year old. They cohabitate during the day when I let them out with a few times of being chased but ends quick. I don't confine them to a run. They have access to my entire yard and beyond. No one gets hurt.

They all live in the coop with the hens and some chicks, that I expanded to make more room. There all peaceful when there in the coop.

But giving them more space makes a huge difference on there behavior. I have yet to have any problems.

So my flock consists of 3 established isa brown hens 1 Easter egger rooster(2+ years). Also 2 Brahma hens 1 black Marin hen and a Brahma rooster(16 weeks). 6 chicks (6-8 weeks). My question is about the isa hens. They have become aggressive and territorial.(only the hens not the rooster) Is this normal? I want everyone to live in peace but they chase the others back into the coop and out of the run. If I take the 3 mature hens out of the mix everybody lives in peace. Any tips or tricks to curb the bullying? Do Brahmas and isa browns co-exist peacefully? Also there hasn’t been any real injury I just see them bullying everyone off of the food and the brahmas and Marin seem to stay in the coop more to avoid conflict.
Simplest would be remove the 3 older hens permanently.

But how big is your coop and run, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would help here.

How long have the younger birds been in with the 3 oldest?
Were they added all at once and is that when the bullying started?

They have been together since the brahmas have been about 8 weeks, they were getting along just fine until recently. I have been thinking about getting rid of the isa’s and the egger rooster,(even though I love them) Just to keep the peace and have a new generation coming up but this has just started so I want to make sure there might not be a hormone swing. Or a temporary thing I’m going through hopefully. My coop is 12’x10’ and I have them in a 20’x10’ run attached. I don’t have much of pics
C96F8FE6-193B-4B03-9B03-2215E0A50F02.jpeg

Attachments

• 8360981F-ECFA-4C9A-A6C9-773649575C5F.jpeg
    8360981F-ECFA-4C9A-A6C9-773649575C5F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • 06033144-9BEE-4CCF-86D2-2BB982258787.jpeg
    06033144-9BEE-4CCF-86D2-2BB982258787.jpeg
    813 KB · Views: 8
  • B929CD11-082B-4F17-9025-E6310A9B0A1A.jpeg
    B929CD11-082B-4F17-9025-E6310A9B0A1A.jpeg
    685.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 11E3D454-4222-4AE5-87F6-51E428D1AD98.jpeg