Isolation

Iluvchickens-2023

In the Brooder
Jun 19, 2023
I have 4 original chickens, 1 roo and 3 hens

I haven’t gotten my 2 Brahmas integrated with the originals even after 2-4 months….my RIR is bullying the other two original hens as well. But two are ganging up on the one hen….can I separate two hens at once for a week in a cat carrier or should I do one at a time?

This is kinda urgent.

they are bored put cabbage or tomato on a stick and it will make them happy and the rooster needs more hens I personally just throw new chickens with the rest and let them sort it out if you do it they could be part of the flock in a week and not be bullied so expect new hens to be bullied that’s normal and already integrated hens being bullied is boredoms

they are bored put cabbage or tomato on a stick and it will make them happy and the rooster needs more hens I personally just throw new chickens with the rest and let them sort it out if you do it they could be part of the flock in a week and not be bullied so expect new hens to be bullied that’s normal and already integrated hens being bullied is boredoms
Gotcha, I keep the 2 puller Brahmas in a separate coop but they all get to free roam the yard, my originals are spoiled…they’ll eat tomatoes but they shun raw veggies like lettuce, I tried giving them pumpkin but they didn’t care much. I feel their belly’s and they are always full so 😂😂 it’s interesting.

I don’t want to ramble but every situation is different….I got the 2 Brahmas so the rooster would have more than 3 hens but his existing hens won’t squat down for him, he has to catch them off guard when they eat or force them to mate.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    590.8 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    519 KB · Views: 14
Gotcha, I keep the 2 puller Brahmas in a separate coop but they all get to free roam the yard, my originals are spoiled…they’ll eat tomatoes but they shun raw veggies like lettuce, I tried giving them pumpkin but they didn’t care much. I feel their belly’s and they are always full so 😂😂 it’s interesting.

I don’t want to ramble but every situation is different….I got the 2 Brahmas so the rooster would have more than 3 hens but his existing hens won’t squat down for him, he has to catch them off guard when they eat or force them to mate.
Yeah but why aren’t the brahamas with him my rooster only has 2 hens that willing mate with him but you should put the Brahmas in there or he will begin killing your hens he is a smaller rooster and needs at minimum 8 hens but if you had a Brahma rooster it would need minimum 5 here is my list of hens per rooster, Normal sized Bantams:8-10 hens, Really small Bantams:5-8 hens, Roosters between 4 and 6 pounds:10-12 hens, Roosters 6 to 9 pounds:8-10 hens, and Roosters 9 pounds+:5-8 hens.

Yeah but why aren’t the brahamas with him my rooster only has 2 hens that willing mate with him but you should put the Brahmas in there or he will begin killing your hens he is a smaller rooster and needs at minimum 8 hens but if you had a Brahma rooster it would need minimum 5 here is my list of hens per rooster, Normal sized Bantams:8-10 hens, Really small Bantams:5-8 hens, Roosters between 4 and 6 pounds:10-12 hens, Roosters 6 to 9 pounds:8-10 hens, and Roosters 9 pounds+:5-8 hens.
Well the 2 Brahmas are pullets and the 3 hens have them so scared they charge after them when they get too close, the Brahmas do want to be friends though, they keep coming close.

I’m not saying I shouldn’t have more hens but this rooster is always dancing at his ladies and they just stand there, he’s basically been friend zoned, so he’s opportunistic. He’s not really the problem it’s the hens that are keeping the 2 pullets from being integrated.

I’m no expert, I won’t claim to be but they have a 50x50 fenced enclosure with a custom coop for the big guys and the babies have a separate coop, I always have feed, water, oyster shell and I let them out every morning for them to stay out all day roaming. Hence why I believe separating one or two of the meaner hens for a while would be good.

Thank you for your input, i obviously have a lot to learn.

Well the 2 Brahmas are pullets and the 3 hens have them so scared they charge after them when they get too close, the Brahmas do want to be friends though, they keep coming close.

I’m not saying I shouldn’t have more hens but this rooster is always dancing at his ladies and they just stand there, he’s basically been friend zoned, so he’s opportunistic. He’s not really the problem it’s the hens that are keeping the 2 pullets from being integrated.

I’m no expert, I won’t claim to be but they have a 50x50 fenced enclosure with a custom coop for the big guys and the babies have a separate coop, I always have feed, water, oyster shell and I let them out every morning for them to stay out all day roaming. Hence why I believe separating one or two of the meaner hens for a while would be good.

Thank you for your input, i obviously have a lot to learn.
The hens charging is good that means the new ones are getting put in their place leave them alone. Don’t stress I had about 10 chickens ganging up on 3 but once they get it in order the others will know to stay away and keep their distance but slowly will become part of the flock. You are stressing too much like I did, just let them work it out. DONT SEPARATE THEM AGAIN it will make the process have to start all over there is no introducing slowly so no fights happen. You got to pick A: slowly introduce them most likely getting nowhere and one of your original hens being killed by the rooster. Or B: let them work it out and a few non deadly fights happen but all hens live. The next chance you get outside just throw the brahamas in and walk away because you will stress to much like I used to do. They will be fine.

Have multiple feeding and water stations. Have places to hide, but not traps. All birds have their own individual personalities, but RIR are not usually a docile breed. @Mrs. K any advice here?

I would put pin-less peepers on the mean old girls. That will stop a lot of it. You mention your run, but what is your coop, it would be best for them all to roost in one coop if possible.

Are your feeders place, so that a bird eating at one station, cannot see a bird at another station? That is important.

Mrs K

I would put pin-less peepers on the mean old girls. That will stop a lot of it. You mention your run, but what is your coop, it would be best for them all to roost in one coop if possible.

Are your feeders place, so that a bird eating at one station, cannot see a bird at another station? That is important.

Mrs K
I noticed the RIR is mean, she instigates fights with my lavender maran and then the little olive egger joins in like today because blood was drawn, I’ve noticed dried blood spots on the RIR and lavender marans red flesh on their faces just this week. Once the wound dried today they were all back together like nothing happened.

I want them all to stay together in one coop but I’m not gonna throw the little ones in at night on the roost to be mauled in the morning. As it stands none of them can really be trapped by one another, they free range and the little dummy’s don’t go back to their enclosure with food so I have to put it on the patio.

I didn’t intend on having a rooster, but the shop said they were all female and I got a male, so now I’ve had to adjust and get new chickens and deal with integrating new members, etcetera.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    493.4 KB · Views: 7
Well, you can, but you really don't have to deal with. Sell the chickens that don't work out. Chickens really don't have to be BFF.

BUT ALWAYS solve for peace in the flock. I just really don't like a lot of strife, so I can remove some from the flock.

If you don't want to remove any, try the pin-less peepers - they are pretty effective in small coop/flocks like you have.

The weird thing about chickens, is you have a bully and a victim, and then the victim becomes even more of a victim, which seems to excellerate the bully which makes for more/....an endless cycle that can be a wreck too.

You have to (or should) do something different. I would get rid of some birds or try the peepers.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom