Best Practice for intro new chicks (only been raising chickens for a year....)

Well, it would depend on the layout of the coop and if you can block off part of it without inhibiting the function for the older birds. Coop looks rather small, but any way to fit a crate for the chicks into the coop?
I can totally fit a dog crate in there but the one I have is only about 4 sqft - it's a great roomy size for a sick adult chick but not sure about 3 chicks age of 4-8 weeks? It's 30Lx19Wx 21H

I can totally fit a dog crate in there but the one I have is only about 4 sqft - it's a great roomy size for a sick adult chick but not sure about 3 chicks age of 4-8 weeks? It's 30Lx19Wx 21H
That's pretty tight.
What does the inside of your coop look like?

Can you just move the little red coop into the indoor run, close the bottom part with wire, and fix some space inside for them to roost or even just huddle off the ground?

They'd have (1) 24/7 protection from weather and predators, (2) a see-don't-touch space where they'll be with the older hens all day but safe from them, (3) plenty of space for three up to about 8-ish weeks of age.

After a week or two of this living inside the hens' space, I'd open up several holes in the wire enclosing the bottom of that red coop, just big enough for the littles to get through, but too small for the hens to follow. And add a bunch of obstructions and obstacles in both run areas - turned over chairs, logs, stacks of blocks, planters, etc. Wood pallets are GREAT; I put them up on bricks or blocks to raise off the ground, and the littles can run underneath for safety.

Once they're integrated this way, you can remove the little red coop. But you'll have to teach them to roost in the blue coop. Not a big deal at all. Just pick them up and put them on a roost inside. After a few nights of this, they'll go in on their own.
I would do this, but simplify it even more.

If you can run electricity out there, don't bother brooding indoors (or keep them inside a week at most). Shortcut it and brood them directly in this red coop, inside the secure run area. Even if it's not fully functional (like you don't need a roost, don't need a nest box) as long as it's secure enough that chickens can't get in and out, it'll work.

Not going to reiterate all the things I cover here, but I brood outdoors in an old prefab and the chicks are done integrating with the adults by 4-5 weeks: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/short-on-time-recycle-a-prefab-brooder.73985/

Back
Top Bottom